• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this in Birmingham?

Just for info. Janice mentioned the Legion of Mary on here - if they too were involved it wasn’t formed until 1921. That would make the postcard later in date. From Wiki:

“The Legion of Mary is an international association of members of the Roman Catholic Church who serve it on a voluntary basis. It was founded in Dublin, as a Roman Catholic Marian Movement by the layman and civil servant Frank Duff”.

And a link to the Legion’s site https://www.legionofmary.ie/about
Viv.

Last edited:
Just for info. Janice mentioned the Legion of Mary on here - if they too were involved it wasn’t formed until 1921. That would make the postcard later in date. From Wiki:

“The Legion of Mary is an international association of members of the Roman Catholic Church who serve it on a voluntary basis. It was founded in Dublin, as a Roman Catholic Marian Movement by the layman and civil servant Frank Duff”.

And a link to the Legion’s site https://www.legionofmary.ie/about
Viv.
Without getting too involved I just mention that The Legion of Mary is principally an adult body of people.

Last edited:
Getting back to the scholastic theme, Bill Dargue, on his web site, mentions where schools and churches were in the late 19th. and early 20th. c were.

Well we seem to be doing the round of organisations here without much success. We haven't mentioned the Vatican so far! ;)

Regarding adult organisations they are well back in the procession - if they are there in the first place.

i have this photo of a prossession taken in dolman st which was next to devon st...also very odd but i also have this 1959 photo of devon st but just look at the name on the back of the truck....spooky or just coinsidence

View attachment 149584View attachment 149585
Interesting. The gradual incline is there too. I post an image of a gradual rising terrace in Burbury Street, Lozells (not that it is there). 254 Burbury Strisingterrace.jpg
The middle houses in the picture stand nearer the pavement, and there seems to be an large entrance between houses. This should show up on a map ?
This doesn't answer the question but......Just asked my Dad if he remembers a Catholic procession round the streets (would be much later than the photo but thought we might get an idea). He says he thinks there was one round the streets from St Chad's but can't remember why it took place. He thinks the ones I referred to were just in parishes.
In May 1919 there was a Catholic procession carrying the relics of St. Chad from the Cathedral.
In May 1919 there was a Catholic procession carrying the relics of St. Chad from the Cathedral.
The 1916 route was from St Chads to Central Hall.

Without getting too involved I just mention that The Legion of Mary is principally and adult body of people.
I did realise that but was looking for wording which might fit and also wondered if the banners were simply used to identify where the children lined up.
I have been behind a men's society banner as a child - it gave us a focal point to follow.
Perhaps we need to focus on where - we still haven't decided for sure if it is Birmingham- or have I missed that?

I think the girls are roughly age 12/teenagers and above. There are no very young girls. Can’t stop returning to the sashes they’re wearing. And can’t get it out of my head that the sashes must signify some sort of group identity, theme or event despite parading behind the specific banners. But still none the wiser ! Viv.

Last edited:
yes ray burbury st slight incline as has many streets of brum...i grew up a couple of streets down from there...to be honest i could spend months going through the thousands of old brum streets i have photos of and may never find a match to your original photo...as happens on this forum a lot of us love a mystery..most are solved but as we know some just cant be...so far we have nothing definitive but as we go along trying to solve this we are learning things all the time...my motto has also been never say never ..something may yet turn up :) oh i still think its a brum photo but yet to be proved either way

lyn

Last edited:
just to compere the original photo with that of charles arthur st nechells...(not that i am saying this is where the original was taken)...look at the design above the upper windows and above the front doors...new brick work above the windows in charles arthur st which could mean that they also once had the ornate arch above them

lyn

procession052 (2).jpgNechells Charles Arthur Street No-50-62-February-1966-[1].jpg

i am not that certain about photo 2 on post 42 being devon st.... although i could be wrong but looking at this scottish map site i dont think you would get that view of the gas works.. also the right hand side of devon st did not have many houses...most of that side of the st was taken up by the gas works and a school...click on link below..dont forget if you slide the blue dot the maps will fade out to show you what is there now..i am addicted to this site..its a great little tool when researching

Lyn, I don't think you should have any doubt that the second picture is Devon Street, it looks to me as though it was taken from near where the red spot is (on the map) with Somerset Street off to the left.

Attachments

• DevonSt.jpg
    DevonSt.jpg
    488.4 KB · Views: 20
thanks john i couldnt be certain...if anyone has missed post 70 i have posted a brum street pic to compere with the original purely to note the same designs

lyn

I think the girls are roughly age 12/teenagers and above. There are no very young girls. Can’t stop returning to the sashes they’re wearing. And can’t get it out of my head that the sashes must signify some sort of group identity, theme or event despite parading behind the specific banners. But still none the wiser ! Viv.
I have just found a lengthy report of a Catholic procession that took place in Wigan Whitsun 1913 (photo not Wigan for sure). Each of 5 missions had their own banners & regalia. the banners are individually listed & confirms that that is what we have here. For example: banners of St Aloysius, St Aloysius Guild, girls from school etc etc Most of these processions to seem to be Lancs but also noted Sheffield & London. Have checked several Lancs locations now & the street style never fits like Brum does!

Given the age of the girls could it be a celebration of Comfirmation?
Catholic Procession of Faiths I would suggest - see my other remarks.
Could be but still don't understand why no boys. All confirmations I know have both boys and girls. Similar for first communion.
Definitely a Catholic Procession - either celebratory or a ‘procession of faiths’. Just found another in Stoke-on-Trent (again different street style to Brum) with similar descriptions.

This style of terraced housing can actually be found across the country. You’ll find examples of it in most cities. The one thing that could be slightly helpful could be the brick it was built with. Pity we can’t see the actual colour of the bricks. The bricks in the original photo look very uniform and smooth, although that could be down to the quality of the photo.

Viv.

Last edited:
This style of terraced housing can actually be found across the country. You’ll find examples of it in most cities. The one thing that could be slightly helpful could be the brick it was built with. Pity we can’t see the actual colour of the bricks. The bricks in the original photo look very uniform and smooth, although that could be down to the quality of the photo.

Viv.
I know what you mean but this is quite unusual & corner shops as in the background do not look the same in many places at all. The main area where one would expect such processions - South Lancs - is very different in certain respects.

Back