• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this Erdington nr Birmingham ?

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This is labelled as High Street Erdington, with an annotation that it was on the occasion of an agricultural exhibition at Aston. I’m not convinced it is Erdington (B’ham) as I just can’t place the view. Anyone recognise it ? Do the shields mean anything attached to the arch ? What was the building to the right ? Viv.

A5D7ABEB-E68F-4883-A9E3-18FB6C144CC7.jpeg

Royal Horticultural Show at Aston Lower Grounds in June 1872 where it was hoped Prince Arthur would attend. Also
mention of a Prince Leopold.

Don’t think there would have been anything like this on Erdington High Street. The top of the photo looks remarkably clean.

I would agree with MWS, Twilton's premises are at High Street, Erdington, but as picture postcards like this did not appear until the early 20th Century, this is a picture from an earlier era, made into a postcard. Was it postally used? Are there any Erdington post card collectors on the forum who have other Twilton postcards?
Bob

Could it be that Erdington High St refers to the photographers (shop/premises) and not the event?

If it was the event wouldn't High St, Erdington be positioned where Aston is?
I think this is the correct explanation. 'Aston' looks as though it was added as an afterthought

Show to take place on the 25 June 1872. To be held on the cricket and adjoining fields, One bounded by Trinity Road.

The Principal entrance near the Holte Hotel. "Near the Holte Hotel there is a castellated archway, to which an ancient appearance is given by ivy clingings, with mottoes of loyalty and welcome..."

The reverse of the card looks like it was stuck into an album. Nothing much else in the way of clues. Viv,

Issued after 1905, looks more like a standard back from around 1910, The pencilled WAP is dealers indication that you pay the price with all faults (not quite sure why its an R or P as opposed to an F. As was said stuck in an album, not postally used and no publishers indication on the back, which usually means that the photographer bought blank backs and did not print his own.

Bob

Back