• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Is This A Girl's Uniform

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
This is a photograph of my Mom taken around 1912.
Is she wearing a uniform? If so any clues.
She seems to be all in black; the hat and scarf(?) seem like part of a uniform.
Possible clues and information: She went to St Matthias's school in Wheeler Street.
She went to the chapel in Guildford Street
She signed the pledge.
Any ideas please?

mom_uniform_1.jpg

mom_uniform_2~0.jpg

The fact that there's a stile and a drape background suggests she's acting in a play.

Michael, I think the 'scarf' is a silk collar. It has decorative braid along the edges and is attached to a short jacket. There's a decorative broach on the collar. I think she's wearing a beret. The rustic stile (and sometimes fences) appear in many photos of the period. I think it's taken inside a photographer's studio. Sometimes they had curtain drapes, sometimes a painted view or both. Think it must be about 1915-20s. I've searched for a uniform but can't find anything similar. I have very similar 'staged' photos for some of my family members. Viv.

Hi Michael. She'd be wearing best clothes - more likely formal - for the photograph.

Back