• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

is there or was there such a road as buxford road

zena58

master brummie
hi
looking at my 2 times great grandmothers death certificate it says she dies at 74 buxford road handsworth birmingham
is there such a road as i cant find it on google
thanks
zena:fox:

Do you have a date?? i can't find it on an address search on the 1911 or 1901 censuses.

Janice

Booths Farm Road and Perry Beeches is Great Barr and not Handsworth. Buxford Road may have been a road that has since been wiped out, but is the writing clear?

shortie
have had my husband looking at it and he also thinks its duxford road
the printing on the top of the certificate says birmingham handsworth
she is buried in handsworth cemetery
regards
zena

Well it won't be Great Barr then - it's a bit of a way from Handsworth. It's a pity they did not give more information about the district on these certificates, it can be very frustrating. What year are we talking about?

I did wonder if it had been earlier, and that possibly some of Great Barr may have come undre 'Handsworth' for a short while (clutching at straws here), but by 1936 Perry Beeches was definitely Great Barr. My husband's aunt and uncle lived at 125 Beeches Road from the 1930's until they died, so I am positive about that. Puzzling, this one.

shorty i come from great barr so i agree with you
Unless my great grand father registered her death on his way home. he lived in ladywood (now thats clutching at straws)
zena x

I wonder if this is it so it could have been Perry Barr but under Handsworth Wood Ward.

Handsworth Wood Ward, formerly known as Sandwell Ward, is part of the Parliamentary Constituency of Perry Barr.

Zena, one thing has occurred to me - perhaps the address was correct, but the district was a guess on the part of the Registrar? Again a long shot, but it's possible. I have had a similar situation before, my gt grandfather's death was registered by 'Mary Vick, daughter'. He had a daughter called Mary, but not Vick, and she had only died four months earlier. Investigations showed that Mary Vick was the local lady who laid people out, and also delivered the local babies. I suspect she also knew him very well, as she lived just houses from him. Mary Vick's family and I feel that the 'daughter' bit was a guess, but a wrong one. Again, clutching at straws, but you never know! Shortie (very eager to know the final outcome!).

shortie you might be right about it being a mistake
samuel smith my great great grandfather who registered her death also registered his fathers death(mark thomas henry smith) as thomas mark smith .
this makes him look a little thick but according to my dad he was very knowledgeable and a car mechanic on the early cars
zena x

I see no reason why a deceased in Duxford Road, Great Barr should not be buried in Handsworth Cemetary, Both my maternal grandparents were buried at Handsworth Cemetary after their deaths in Perry Common in 1948. You could be buried in Cornwall
if you are prepared to pay for it.

That does not sound like thick to me Zena, I would say he was probably called Thomas - many people were known by their middle name, and in the case of a death, you have the emotion with it, so easy to forget things. I am off out now, I will message you later. Shortie

A Kelly's directory might reveal more about 74 Duxford Road. I only have access to 1940 (nearest to your date) and that lists a Mrs Jane McCudden at 74 Duxford Road but it clearly says Great Barr. The index does not list a Buxford Road. I will try to look later for other possible similar looking names.

Janice

There is also the electoral rolls on Ancestry (I don't have a subscription at the moment or I would have looked for it myself). The only other way of confirming (or otherwise) is to use an old A-Z which I believe they have in the library.

Zena

The 1937 edition of Kelly's which would be 1936 listings makes no mention of a Buxford Street or Road.

Butlers rd. Wood la. Handsworth,20
Butlin st. 323 Nechells Park rd. 7
Buxton pl. 52 Ford st. Hockley, 18
Buxton rd. Perry Common rd
Buxton ter. Bolton rd. 10
Byfield pass. Bordesley grn. 9
Byron pl. Barker st. 1
Byron pl 43 Blythe st. 16

I do have Ancestry and have tried that but only certain years are on there and I could only find Duxford Road in 1945 which probably isn't close enough.

Janice

thanks everyone for all your help
looks like a trip to the llibray might be the answer
zena x

Back