• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is a female ancestor missing in 1911 census

Maybe she supported the suffragettes. See :
Not from Birmingham myself, but my Grandfather John Thomas Griffin was born in 4 back 90 Tower Street, Birmingham - but came to live in Cardiff - hence how I came to this forum. My interest in the suffragettes for the 1911 census here in Cardiff was strong as I was researching our local activists as part of my volunteer job in our local archives. On the night of the census all our ladies gathered together in an unoccupied property to dodge the census takers. A newspaperman - trying to sus out where they were hiding, was looking through all the properties in the area and got himself arrested as a peeping Tom!! One of the ladies went home the following day to find that her Dad had included her name on the census record, thinking he was being helpful. She explained why she had stayed out and before handing the census form in - he obliterated her name and details.

Back