• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Irving Street

See my edit note in the post above.
There is already a pic of The Dolphin in post#14 and here is another clearer version of the same pic. Unfortunately no date but adverts show information about an election.
The Dolphin Irving St.jpg

Last edited:
Vivienne - you're cropping up all over the forum today - I too was born in Irving Street - in 1949 at 1/66 - Mac Joseph, of Old Ladywood website fame, has put some of my early life in Irving Street into print in his "Birmingham - We Lived Back To Back" book - Bill - PS - and I think that's Maureen Smith and her mom on page 121?

Last edited:
Great photo. We lived about 15 houses down from the Dolphin at 185 from about 1950 until 1959. The names and places I recall are endless. This forum is a gem.

I hope you don't mind me using your map, but does anyone know where on that map 8/105 Grove Terrace, Irving Street would be please?

Attachments

• Irving St c 1950.jpg
    Irving St c 1950.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 21
Lisa
Anyone is welcome to use any map I post . 8/105 would be house no 8 behind no 105 on the map. However, the map in my earlier post is from the 1950s, when the houses concerned had been demolished. Below is a map c1905 which shows the court in question with the house still standing in green. I am afraid it is not very clear, as the site I normally access maps from is having problems at the moment , and his is part of a larger map I had saved for another purpose
map c1889 showing court back of no 105.jpg

Lisa
Anyone is welcome to use any map I post . 8/105 would be house no 8 behind no 105 on the map. However, the map in my earlier post is from the 1950s, when the houses concerned had been demolished. Below is a map c1905 which shows the court in question with the house still standing in green. I am afraid it is not very clear, as the site I normally access maps from is having problems at the moment , and his is part of a larger map I had saved for another purpose
View attachment 143833
Thank you so much!

I a researching my family history. My grandmother was born in Irving Street Highgate in 1894. Would this be the Irving Street off Bath Row or was there another of the same name?

Hi, I lived here in the 1950's 8 back of 159 Irving Street also known as the limes. I had a very happy childhood here and it was a very close community, I used to go Bristol st. school at the bottom of the road which is where the academy stands now. they where victorian house's and we used a tin bath, there was a brew house where mum used to do the washing every Monday.
Hi Anabel,

Hope you still get notification of this.. it's been some years since you were online.

My dad lived at number 2 at the back of 159 Irving Street.. he was born in 1947...

Wonder if you were there with him?

Back