• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Irving Street

Hi, I lived here in the 1950's 8 back of 159 Irving Street also known as the limes. I had a very happy childhood here and it was a very close community, I used to go Bristol st. school at the bottom of the road which is where the academy stands now. they where victorian house's and we used a tin bath, there was a brew house where mum used to do the washing every Monday.

Last edited:
My mother grew up in 71 Irving st, (1920s-30s), she's 97 now.

There was a coal yard at the side of their house, her dad tried to make a living selling coal for a while, so there must have been a variety of houses in the area.

Mom comes out with some amazing stories of life in those days, I'll have to try and steer her onto the subject when we visit her this afternoon.

Hi just wondering if anybody could help me I am doing a family tree and would like a photo/or picture of the street in 1956/57.

If any one can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.
Thanks Barbara

irving st...dated 1961

img555.jpg

dolphin pub irving street..

img556.jpg
Thank you so much new to this site and live out the area now. Do you happen to know if street maps are available for the 1950's. Regards Barbara

If you look at the Old-Maps (co.uk) website and find your way to Irving St there is some very nice 1949/1950 1:1250 scale mapping to view at a reasonable zoom level for free - its shows the house numbers too. There was also an article in the Brummagem magazine a few years ago by someone called Tustin, who might have lived at 1/150 - I'll see if I can find it.

hi barbara if you post your request for a map under the forums maps and mapping section stating what part of irving st you want i think our mikejee maybe able to help you...

lyn

Just remembered that, although not in Ladywood, there are quite a few pics of Irving Street on Mac Joseph's Old Ladywood website.

A map marked as c1952, but probably surveyed late 1940s isbelow

Attachments

• map Irving st c 1952.jpg
    map Irving st c 1952.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 42
hi barbara if you post your request for a map under the forums maps and mapping section stating what part of irving st you want i think our mikejee maybe able to help you...

lyn
Thank you so much really appreciate your help. Barbara

If you look at the Old-Maps (co.uk) website and find your way to Irving St there is some very nice 1949/1950 1:1250 scale mapping to view at a reasonable zoom level for free - its shows the house numbers too. There was also an article in the Brummagem magazine a few years ago by someone called Tustin, who might have lived at 1/150 - I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks you thankful for all the help.

Thanks so pleased with all this information and surjestions

My grandparents, Evelyn Dodds and Patrick Dodds lived at 7/135 Irving Street and I wondered if anyone had any pictures of the area or the street. I am creating a memory lane for my Mom who is 70 next March. I would love to find any maps or pictures of the area.
many thanks

Michaela

Hi. I am creating a memory lane for my Mom who is 70 next year. She lived at 7/135 Irving Street. Does anyone have any pictures of the houses or a map I could use for her album.

Many thanks
Michaela

Hi Margaret
looking at Irving street ladywood i also have an adrees for a family of the same surname as yours
are you in any way related to this family this would have been an old address of the old area ,
johnson street ladywood wich would have been Birmingham 18,
Best Wishes Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,

Attached is a map of Itving St from around 1950. 7 back 135 is marked in red

Attachments

• Irving St c 1950.jpg
    Irving St c 1950.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 53
also to go with mikes map a photo of the woodman pub corner of irving st and cregoe st..think its irving st running across..

lyn

scan0006.png

Last edited:
3 more of irving st...one shows the dolphin pub..hope these are of help..click on photo to enlargeirving street 2.jpg irving street.jpg Irving%20St.jpg

lynirving street 2.jpgirving street.jpgIrving%20St.jpg

Last edited:
3 more of irving st...one shows the dolphin pub..hope these are of help..click on photo to enlargeView attachment 110234 View attachment 110235 View attachment 110236

lyn

I checked with my Mother today, I'd got it wrong in post #10, she lived at No 73 Irving St, back in the 1920s. (Mom's 101 now and her memory's not so good). She remembers a fight in the Dolphin, that spilled out into the street and the landlady holding a big bunch of keys like a dagger and stabbing them into a man's head.
I notice from mikegees map that No 73 sat in a funny little courtyard, that would explain how they came to have a coal business there.

I posted this image in a thread on 08/06/2019 which had the the PB image in post#1 and also posted it in another thread which had a blurred pic in post#14. I suspect the two threads have been merged so there are now two pics which I suppose is better then no pics ...
Photobucket put their unsightly watermark on The Dolphin pub in the pic in post 1 so I've put a slightly better pic here that does not have their watermark on it.
The Dolphin Irving St.jpg

Last edited:
Back