• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Irving Street

Well I got that badly wrong. Apologies to all I was attempt to merge these thread with the original Irving Street Thread but only succeeded in merging them together.

The first post in this thread was made by Jeeze625.

Apologies to all concerned but particularly to Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Just to complete my research on Irving Street, Mike, would you be able to locate number 106 Irving St, and 2 back of 164 on the map above?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't use the same map, as 104 doesn't show. Have made new map (7 included the Limes) , with 104 in green and 164 in blue. Cannot be certain which was no 2 back 164. though if i had to make a guess i would guess at the on directly behind 164 was no 1 back 164 and the first of the terrace at the back was no 2
Mike

map_c_1910_The_limes_164_and104__Irving_St.jpg

Re: Irving Street

I worked for A T Gittins in Irving Street around 1959. They were toward the bottom.

Bernie

Interesting to see you worked at A T Gittins. I started there in 1964 as a yoof straight from school in the Diesel shop. What did you do?

I was a trainee auto electrician and was starting at Lucas by then. Was the diesel foreman Bob ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Bernie

Yes the foreman in the diesel shop was Bob. I remained there for nearly a couple of years before the diesel got to me. It didn't do my spots any good so I was transferred to Universal mageto (their other shop) on Aston road as a trainee auto elec. A profession I remained in for twenty five years.

Hi there,

I am doing some family history research and one member lived in Irving Street in 1861, I just wondered if anyone knew what kind of housing was on the street at the time? Was this back to back houses or Victorian terraces, would people have worked and lived on the street in cottage industries like in other parts of the city at the time. I just wanted to get a feel of the area in terms of the social status it had at the time. Looking at the occupations of people from the 61 census it looked like a fairly good working class neighbourhood with many tradesmen.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Petal,

It would have been a mixture of back to backs and terraced housing. If you look at the OS maps on the thread they show blocks of houses made up of two blocks, well the dividing lines do not show the front & back of the same house as you might expect but it shows the division of two houses.

Hi, I lived here in the 1950's 8 back of 159 Irving Street also known as the limes. I had a very happy childhood here and it was a very close community, I used to go Bristol st. school at the bottom of the road which is where the academy stands now. they where victorian house's and we used a tin bath, there was a brew house where mum used to do the washing every Monday.

Last edited:
My mother grew up in 71 Irving st, (1920s-30s), she's 97 now.

There was a coal yard at the side of their house, her dad tried to make a living selling coal for a while, so there must have been a variety of houses in the area.

Mom comes out with some amazing stories of life in those days, I'll have to try and steer her onto the subject when we visit her this afternoon.

Hi just wondering if anybody could help me I am doing a family tree and would like a photo/or picture of the street in 1956/57.

If any one can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.
Thanks Barbara

If you look at the Old-Maps (co.uk) website and find your way to Irving St there is some very nice 1949/1950 1:1250 scale mapping to view at a reasonable zoom level for free - its shows the house numbers too. There was also an article in the Brummagem magazine a few years ago by someone called Tustin, who might have lived at 1/150 - I'll see if I can find it.

hi barbara if you post your request for a map under the forums maps and mapping section stating what part of irving st you want i think our mikejee maybe able to help you...

lyn

Just remembered that, although not in Ladywood, there are quite a few pics of Irving Street on Mac Joseph's Old Ladywood website.

A map marked as c1952, but probably surveyed late 1940s isbelow

Attachments

• map Irving st c 1952.jpg
    map Irving st c 1952.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 42
hi barbara if you post your request for a map under the forums maps and mapping section stating what part of irving st you want i think our mikejee maybe able to help you...

lyn
Thank you so much really appreciate your help. Barbara

Back