• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Irving Street

If you look at the Old-Maps (co.uk) website and find your way to Irving St there is some very nice 1949/1950 1:1250 scale mapping to view at a reasonable zoom level for free - its shows the house numbers too. There was also an article in the Brummagem magazine a few years ago by someone called Tustin, who might have lived at 1/150 - I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks you thankful for all the help.

If you look at the Old-Maps (co.uk) website and find your way to Irving St there is some very nice 1949/1950 1:1250 scale mapping to view at a reasonable zoom level for free - its shows the house numbers too. There was also an article in the Brummagem magazine a few years ago by someone called Tustin, who might have lived at 1/150 - I'll see if I can find it.
Thanks so pleased with all this information and surjestions

My grandparents, Evelyn Dodds and Patrick Dodds lived at 7/135 Irving Street and I wondered if anyone had any pictures of the area or the street. I am creating a memory lane for my Mom who is 70 next March. I would love to find any maps or pictures of the area.
many thanks

Michaela

Hi. I am creating a memory lane for my Mom who is 70 next year. She lived at 7/135 Irving Street. Does anyone have any pictures of the houses or a map I could use for her album.

Many thanks
Michaela

Hi Margaret
looking at Irving street ladywood i also have an adrees for a family of the same surname as yours
are you in any way related to this family this would have been an old address of the old area ,
johnson street ladywood wich would have been Birmingham 18,
Best Wishes Astonian,,,,, Alan,,,

Attached is a map of Itving St from around 1950. 7 back 135 is marked in red

Attachments

• Irving St c 1950.jpg
    Irving St c 1950.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 53
also to go with mikes map a photo of the woodman pub corner of irving st and cregoe st..think its irving st running across..

lyn

scan0006.png

Last edited:
3 more of irving st...one shows the dolphin pub..hope these are of help..click on photo to enlargeirving street 2.jpg irving street.jpg Irving%20St.jpg

lynirving street 2.jpgirving street.jpgIrving%20St.jpg

Last edited:
3 more of irving st...one shows the dolphin pub..hope these are of help..click on photo to enlargeView attachment 110234 View attachment 110235 View attachment 110236

lyn

I checked with my Mother today, I'd got it wrong in post #10, she lived at No 73 Irving St, back in the 1920s. (Mom's 101 now and her memory's not so good). She remembers a fight in the Dolphin, that spilled out into the street and the landlady holding a big bunch of keys like a dagger and stabbing them into a man's head.
I notice from mikegees map that No 73 sat in a funny little courtyard, that would explain how they came to have a coal business there.

I posted this image in a thread on 08/06/2019 which had the the PB image in post#1 and also posted it in another thread which had a blurred pic in post#14. I suspect the two threads have been merged so there are now two pics which I suppose is better then no pics ...
Photobucket put their unsightly watermark on The Dolphin pub in the pic in post 1 so I've put a slightly better pic here that does not have their watermark on it.
The Dolphin Irving St.jpg

Last edited:
Back