• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Irish in your tree?

Thanks Eric, I will dig deeper later!
My ancestors from Ireland were "umbrella makers" and "travellers" but I don't know if this meant gypsy as they had settled. They were also called "marine store dealers" but this means "rag and bone" dealers!!
rosie.

I have one of those names that could have come from a lot of places. Although dad came from Ireland, there are variants in French, Scots, and Hebrew that I know about. Nevertheless, the name comes up on this site in lists and very little else. I think the site was once used to sell a book but it doesn't seem to be available. Since there's a page for articles that seems to have most recent first, I'd guess you can avoid the newsletter and still read their latest stuff. They also have a page called surnames which is a link to all the articles with that name somewhere in the text.

Thanks Eric, I will dig deeper later!
My ancestors from Ireland were "umbrella makers" and "travellers" but I don't know if this meant gypsy as they had settled. They were also called "marine store dealers" but this means "rag and bone" dealers!!
rosie.
I too have Irish ancestors whose occupation is listed as "marine store dealers". I always thought that they must have had some sort of business around the canals etc. Now I know what it really means. Thank you for that Rosie.

Back