• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ionic Plating Works

The little guy was name Harry Bolton, for some obscure reason he was nicknamed “Little Napper” he lived on Quinton Road West, I used to repair his car. He was mad on dog racing, he once asked me “what would you do if you lost £100 on a bet”? I think I was on about £3 a week in the 1960s at that time,

Yes Bob Belcher lived on Shenstone Road, his Dad worked, I think it was called 7Shop; it was up the metal stairs opposite the toilets and through the door on the right. if you went through the door on the left at the top it took your to the polishing shop.

When he married Bob Belcher bought a house in Welsh House Farm Road, Birmingham, I have a vague recollection Bobs wife could have been named Joyce.

They later moved to the Squirrels Estate, Halesowen. And yes I believe he died.

His partner in crime was a lovely guy name Fred Knowles, Fred had a brother name Alf who also worked at Ionic, Alf also worked for a bookies and used to take the bets at Ionic.

Fred was mad on Ballroom Dancing and I would go with him often to go to places to dance around the Midlands, Bocker and Betriges, think it was in Birmingham, there was a dance place on the corner of Nineveh Road Handsworth.

Alf had a black Morris Minor, it was always spotless and Fred used to borrow it sometimes, once I believe it had some scratcher on it from a bush or something, Fred was so worried.

Hi freedy, do you know the date of the fire? or know of any newspaper coverage? I've been trying to learn more but am finding it difficult.
regards,
ffeizer
Hi freedy, do you know the date of the fire? or know of any newspaper coverage? I've been trying to learn more but am finding it difficult.
regards,
ffeizer
There were two fires, one was in the original factory and was over the Barrel Section cleaning line, the first I knew about it was when Ron Hale from the Human Resources bought our P45, round to our house and to tell us we had been made unemployed due to the fire.

The second fire was in 21 shop where the large barrel plating machine was, it was an old Belfast Roof Trusses and once alight quickly took over the plant , I believe it was on a 16th of August the day after my Birthday it would from memory have been the early 70s.

Hi - anyone remember Ionic plating company? It was in Heath Street Smethwick up until the late 70's.
Would love to hear from anyone who worked there between 1955- 1975.

Frank
Don't think it was at Ionic, but anyone remember a Plating Company run by a Peter Campbell? He would have retired perhaps 1990 ish?

I was a buyer at Kalamazoo in late 70s early 90s, used to send parts for ledgers to be plated at Ionic. Even in 1982 lots of companies bought Kalamazoo ledgers to hold their accounts !

Hi, Just by chance I came across your query. As it happens i worked very closely with Tom Flynn in the 1960's. he was one of my mentors. I first met him in 1959 when I joined Ionic. I was his assistant from 1965 to 1967 and worked in the same office.
He was one of teh people who started up Ionic with bert Wallbank. Ionic was a wholly owned subsiduary of Guest Keen and Nettlefolds, at that time the largest screw manufacturer in the world. Tom was originally the production control manager and it took a lot of persuading for him to become Plant Manager.
He knew teh place intimately and had the unique ability to walk round the shop floor first thing in the morning and know everything that was going on.
I statred under Colin Prosser, and Eddie Baker the technical department, got moved to Dudley Works as a Chemist and then returned to grove Street as Tom's asistant.
The intent was that I should learn from the master how to run a factory, whih I did by osmosis.
Tom was the perfect Plamt manager for Ionic. he never seemed get upset, raise his voice or lose his temper but managed the company by example, hard work, good selection of staff and an intimate knowledge of everything that went on.
he led the comany through two fires, a strike and constant pressure from GKN.
His only drawbacks was that he was a chain smoker, was slightly overweight and chewed aspirins like candies.
names that come to mind are:
Colin Prosser, Chief Chemist
Eddie Baker,asst. Chief Chemist
Derek Sutton, Barrel Section Manager
Ron Stockley, Rack Department Manager
Dan Eaton, Work Study
Dave Wesbury accounts, General Manager after Bert retired after a heart attack, and eventually co-owner.
Dick Spenser who became deputy Chief accountant.
Let me end with the statement that Ionic was a happy place to work in and that everyone was good to know. If you need more then e-mail me.
Hi Andrew, its been so long since I've been on this site, so apologies if you're reading this. Just wanted to say thanks for the very kind things you said about my dad in your piece. Your description of his temperament and outlook was very accurate and I can just imagine him taking a walk round the shop floor every morning.Ionic.jpg

I wish I had more memories or images from his time there, tho i do recall vaguely, the fire incident being talked about at home and of course remember some of the Christmas parties. I have a photo of dad at work in his office. He died in 1972, long time ago now, but would be great to hear from anybody else who knew him or any more pics.
Thanks again.Ionic.jpg

Hi Andrew, its been so long since I've been on this site, so apologies if you're reading this. Just wanted to say thanks for the very kind things you said about my dad in your piece. Your description of his temperament and outlook was very accurate and I can just imagine him taking a walk round the shop floor every morning.View attachment 152632

I wish I had more memories or images from his time there, tho i do recall vaguely, the fire incident being talked about at home and of course remember some of the Christmas parties. I have a photo of dad at work in his office. He died in 1972, long time ago now, but would be great to hear from anybody else who knew him or any more pics.
Thanks again.View attachment 152632
Hi Frankf7, what a great picture. Do you know approx when this was taken? If you've got any more pics you can share with us, please do. The thread has been quite active recently

Hi David, I’m really not sure of the date, tho maybe late 50’s early 60’s judging by the car on the left.
I do have some colour pics taken not long before it was demolished for the new hospital build. If I’d known when that was happening I would have gone over there and got some pics. I’ll find the other pics and post them.

Hi Andrew, its been so long since I've been on this site, so apologies if you're reading this. Just wanted to say thanks for the very kind things you said about my dad in your piece. Your description of his temperament and outlook was very accurate and I can just imagine him taking a walk round the shop floor every morning.View attachment 152632

Thanks again.View attachment 152632
Somebody put me right on this. Is that road forking off right Grove Street going towards the Cape & is the left fork with the cyclist Halberton Street?

No I think the road to the right is Grove street and the left one with the cyclist is a continuation of Grove lane, (it’s a dead end a bit further on). Halberton st is off Grove lane and comes out further down in Grove street - see google maps

Hi all,

I've greatly enjoyed reading all the recent activity in the forum, though I only caught up with it today.

Chris,

Like Dave Quick I recognised you instantly. I have one very clear memory of you telling me that my then girl friend Judith who was waiting in reception for me to finish the shift, had good legs! So did Jimmy Gull but not in such polite terms. ;) Give him my regards when you're next in contact.

The girl on the left of your pic, was also a Christine, but I've forgotten her surname. She was a clerical worker, I think for Tom Archer and as you can see, very pretty (not that we lads noticed these things!)

I was saddened to hear that three of my friends and contemporaries had passed on; Eddie, Alan and Bob Belcher.

Bob's wife was indeed Joyce, a lovely fun lady. Together with Judith we went on several fishing club "dos" as a foursome and got on famously. I recall coming back from one of them on a coach and laughing so much at Bob's jokes and general nonsense I had hiccups for two days afterwards. Bob worked for some years at Accles and Pollock as a foreman. i/c their golf shaft plating section.

His father was Bert, who had run into ticker trouble as an Ionic employee; when he recovered he was given a job in the lab on Quality Control. He was a great one for a bet on the gee gees, and I recall his smug satisfaction after I'd repeatedly told him Red Rum never stood a chance; nice man.

Jim G, I ought to remember you, we were clearly at Ionic at the same time, but forgive me, I can't put a face to the name. You must surely have worked with Brian Killgallon, Wilf Manning and Larry Smith.

I remember both fires; the first I knew of the old barrel section (3B) cleaning line going up was when John Vale the draughtsman, not much given to over excitement came racing through the bottom lab like Linford Christie running for the last bus. Like a clot I asked "Where's the fire then John"?

"Three B and its a -------- good one"! I have some memories of that day not rightly fitted for a family forum; if we ever meet up I'll spill the beans.

21 shop being destroyed was blessing in disguise for me and the bride to be. The barrel section chemists (me and Jimmy Alldrick) were asked to work shifts; we did so and I made quite a bit of extra money to put towards our first flat.

Regards

Fred Molloy

Dave,

How nice to see you in the forum once more; I hope all is well with you and yours. When this wretched Covid thing is behind us, we'll make a date to meet in Poole. We take a cottage in Dorset every now and again.

The building in the pic isn't the factory we all worked in, it's the one on the opposite side of the road from us, with one face (the left) in Grove Lane, and the other (the right) in Grove Street. The pic would have been taken from the car park of "The Cape of Good Hope". I can't bring the "Ionic" sign on the end of the building to mind at all, perhaps it was subsequently moved.

In our time it was one of (if not the) admin centres for the Heath Street Div. of GKN. With the decline of GKN it was sold off and became a distribution warehouse for a major Indian restaurant supplier, and true to local tradition went up in smoke after a couple of years. Subsequently demolished, the last time I saw the site it was a big hole in the ground.

The factory we knew still stands but in much reduced circumstances; very scruffy and dirty, Tom Flynn would weep to see it. You can get it up on Streetview, but if you have fond memories don't bother. All very sad.

More later,

Fred

Frank,

Just how I remember him. Great pic, and a great memory, thanks for posting.
No problem Freddy, glad it’s how you remember him. I’ve always assumed this office was in the building in the picture in grove street - would you know if that’s right?

thanks

Frank

Frank,

No, the pic of the GKN building wasn't where your Dad had his office, at least in my time. When I knew him his office was accessed from the main reception area on the ground floor and didn't (from memory) have that corrugated glass panelling.

The offices that did have that sort of pre-fab looking construction were on the second and third floors; notably the inspection office, Tom Archer's , Lou Jones', Colin Prosser's, and the chief chemist's. These were a common feature of virtually all post war factories and were referred to as a "Lucas Foreman's Office".

His office off reception was altogether nicer, so I guess he promoted himself! If Andrew chimes in again he might throw more light.

Looking at the pic again, there's a blobby looking thing on the right of the sign that might just be an arrow pointing across Grove Street to the Ionic building proper which is just out of shot.

Thanks Freddy, as it’s from 1957, maybe it was an earlier office he occupied in the building in the photo, I’m not sure. Pity there’s no pics of the main Ionic building.
Great info though, thanks for that

Frank

Back