• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Internet Problem

GEFF

Geff
I had a few virus on my Windows 7 which I have got rid of, now I find that I can get Internet Explorer web page but nowhere to put request for information. I have Google which is O.K. but prefer the Explorer. Any suggestions how to overcome the problem please. Geff

Have you tried looking for advice on the Microsoft forum Geff? Or uninstalling and doing a new install?

Having had a quick look IE later versions seem to be giving a fair few folk problems with searches. I can't help as I gave up on it around version 9.

You may find that MS has 'given' you IE11, as an 'important' update, where there are now three boxes at the top. The left hand box can be used to add a https://www etc OR it can be used as a search box as in Chrome browser. I reloaded a PC for someone, took all the upgrades available (or so I thought) then returning it to the house and connecting the broadband, suddenly found it was running IE11 and not IE9 as it had beforehand.

Just a thought!

Curly, Probably a naïve question but how can you tell which version you are running ? I had IE 9 but suspect it has been updated to IE 11, and can you revert to IE 9 if you so wish ? Eric

Curly, Probably a naïve question but how can you tell which version you are running ? I had IE 9 but suspect it has been updated to IE 11, and can you revert to IE 9 if you so wish ? Eric

Click on the cog wheel in the top right hand corner, then click 'about internet explorer'

....or, if you have a menu along the top, click on 'help' and then 'about internet explorer'

I do not use IE myself and the post above is the only time I have come across it. No doubt this will become a regular problem as the entries for IE11 in google search would suggest. Can one revert to IE 9? - I don't know, usually one can do this sort of thing but, if possible, once done, you have to prevent it being 'updated' again, which means reviewing every update rather than letting Microsoft 'have its wicked way!'

Sorry not overly helpful. More used to hardware problems and use non-MS software where possible!!

ETA......For help reverting from current IE11, 10 etc, simply Google this:- "revert to ie9 from ie11" or even "revert to ie9" - hope that helps!

Curly & terryb18, pressed cog and 'about IE' and it says IE 10, so presume I have IE 10 version. Although I click on the EI icon to get on line my home page is BT.com (my server). Anyway have no problems with IE apart from occassionly 'freezing' for a few seconds which I can put up with so will leave things as they are. Thanks for advice. Eric

Geff - try this (no guarantees given!) In control panel open Programs and Features. In the left hand column select Turn Windows Features on or off. When the list appears untick Internet Explorer, OK then reboot the computer. Then go back to Windows Features, tick Internet Explorer, OK, let IE reinstall and see if that has sorted it. Note; if you do this you may lose any IE settings such as favourites.

Generally each IE browser update makes it more secure than the last version so it is always a good idea to upgrade to the latest version.

Also generally you can always make a new version of IE look like the previous version.

One useful thing to do is RIGHT click on the grey area at the top of the browser window, then from the menu that appears select Menu Bar. This will add all your usual menu options to the top of the browser such as File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and Help.

You could also select the Favorites Bar, Command Bar and Status Bar if you want (they all do different things).

Once you get the Menu bar, if you select the Help option a small window appears and on it is an option which says "Install new versions automatically".

If this is selected then IE will always install the latest version when it becomes available.

You can also get this small window by selecting on the "Gear" icon on the top right and then selecting "About Internet Explorer".

The Status bar adds a bar along the bottom of the browser window with 100% (this is for text size). Clicking on the 100% will increase it to 125% then 150% and make the text bigger. Or you can select the small arrow to the right of it and select any text size you want (up to 400%). Useful for those with poor eye sight.

Many thanks for all the information you gave on my problem with the Internet. I have got it back on thank you very indeed to all of you. GEFF

Back