• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Internet Explorer 11

cookie273uk

master brummie
My IE 11 as suddenly ceased working, I click on the Icon and nothing, I have an Acer desk top PC with operating system 10. ANY ideas ? Eric

Hi Eric, If you still having problems running IE11 from the icon, open it from the 'Run' box.
Right click on the 'Windows Icon'
Left click on 'Run'
Type iexplore.exe and click 'ok' or hit return.
IE should then open directly from that command. If it does then a new icon needs to be created or run it from the Win 10 Start Screen or Task Bar.
oldmohawk

Last edited:
I just tried that oldMohawk, still no joy but thanks for suggestion, will try a reset later, did try a system restore a few days ago and it worked again but next day it failed again. It informed me to try a reset, it will not affect my files but I will have to replace some apps (Epson easy photo print for example) so will try it when I have more time in the meantime using Google. Eric

oldMohawk, restored to 17 Dec (which I did before and it worked for 1 day) as it was the 21st when it first failed and it's working again, but how long for?? will try it again tomorrow, fingers crossed. I use the IE Icon I put on the Task Bar. Eric

You can just reset internet explorer Go to Tools > internet options, click the advanced tab and reset.

It seems strange (to me) that a browser needs resetting. I gave up on Internet Explorer years ago and generally use Chrome. I find that Microsoft's new EDGE browser is actually better than IE.

It's quite surprising how many things get onto your browser like plug-ins, cookies and add-ons that come with updates and new programmes etc. I installed a new printer the other day that added a plug-in that would help me print web pages. As useful as a chocolate tea pot, and more to do with getting me to use up ink and pointing me in the direction of canon products.

Chrome is ok as long as you don't mind Google capturing all of your searches, browsing history, online purchase and anything else it can send to Google for targeted adverts and emails.

Eric. I have the same problem which occurred after the last update. If it happens again you can get round it by right clicking on the icon and selecting 'run as administrator' - you may also have to accept the UAC (User Account Control) if it pops up. If this works you can force it to always run as administrator by right clicking on the icon, selecting 'properties' then the 'shortcut' tab, clicking 'advanced' and ticking the 'run as administrator' box.
This is obviously another glitch in Microsoft's update system as it has happened to others. My second PC which runs exactly the same update of W10 is OK.
I am still investigating this as the above 'fix' is just a work-around rather than finding the root of the problem. I tried downloading a fresh copy of IE from Microsoft but it wouldn't let me install it as it said it was an older version than the one already installed!
Note you may also find that when you do get into IE, if you select Tools - Internet Options the Start-up section of the General Tab may be greyed out.
I'll keep investigating and will let you know if I find out what's going on!
John

Last edited:
It's quite surprising how many things get onto your browser like plug-ins, cookies and add-ons that come with updates and new programmes etc. I installed a new printer the other day that added a plug-in that would help me print web pages. As useful as a chocolate tea pot, and more to do with getting me to use up ink and pointing me in the direction of canon products.
Chrome is ok as long as you don't mind Google capturing all of your searches, browsing history, online purchase and anything else it can send to Google for targeted adverts and emails.
I've never had a problem with targeted ads, they never make it to my Windows laptop and desktop because I use ad-block extensions. Even EDGE now has ad-block extensions. I do see ads on my iPad.

I use an iPad for about 30% of my internet time and blocking ads on it is difficult so I don't bother and the only time I've noticed targeting is when the forum's Google ad feature has picked a keyword in a post or thread title and puts a targeted ad at the top or bottom of the screen.
If Google or Bing search is used from any browser they pick up your IP address. The only email ads I receive are from HP because I bought one of their computers 15 years ago. Never been able to stop them but they go into spam.

With regard to Eric's problem with IE, it seems strange that he sorts it and then it re-occurs a day or two later.

Last edited:
oldMohawk, its STILL working since yesterdays system restore to 17th Dec (the problem started 21st Dec, i think after an update) so will see how it goes, thanks everybody for advice which I have saved

I gave up on Internet Explorer years ago and generally use Chrome. I find that Microsoft's new EDGE browser is actually better than IE.

So it should be.

Internet Explorer was written in the early days of the internet and has been updated, adapted, botched, and so on to keep track of the ever changing internet platform.

Edge has been written from scratch to handle all the new features the internet provides.

The fact that Microsoft promote Edge in Windows 10 (and rather hide Internet Explorer away) should show where their focus lies.

Probably a good idea in 2018 for everyone to stop using Internet Explorer and move to Chrome, Edge or other browser.

For years IT security people have been saying companies (and individuals) should stop using IE so maybe now is the time to do it.

Edge has a better Options menu (click the 3 dots) compared to IE Internet Options. A pic below of Edge on my laptop with Options showing and notice they give the option to open the same page in IE !
One small problem with Edge when you first use it is getting rid of Microsoft's start page and putting in your own preferred start or home page.
Screenshot (224).jpg

I like things simple (because of my lack of PC knowledge). I simply right click on the IE Icon and up comes my all my browsing history, click on the Forum and there I am, same with my on line Banking. Tried Edge for news but did not like the way it was presented, now click on Windows Icon and type BBC for news. I use Google for Web Browsing (which I do very little). I still prefer Windows 7 to 10, perhaps I'm old fashioned although now I have adapted to 10 it's not so bad. Possibly because of my age (87) I am averse to change ? I also prefer a Desk top PC with a large monitor to a Lap Top Eric

The 'best' browser is simply the one anyone likes using because they basically all do the same thing. I mostly use Chrome because I'm used to it. I had a look at Edge when it first came out but it was useless. Now after two years of Win10 it is finally useable. There are some useful items in the Options list (see post#12) such as pinning a web page to the task bar or to the Win10 Start. Edge also easily imports bookmarks (favourites) from other browsers.

Back