• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Institute for the Blind, Ann Street.

lynne webb

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I'm looking for info about the Institute for the Blind in Ann Street, I found a newspaper snippet from 1862 about a special meeting held to introduce three new boarders, one being a relative of mine. It seems odd that this would warrant being in the newspaper. If Mike sees this could he pinpoint it on a map please, the number was 40 something but not sure what. Thanks,
Lynne.

In 1862 the institute for the blind was in Carpenter Road

I'm looking for info about the Institute for the Blind in Ann Street, I found a newspaper snippet from 1862 about a special meeting held to introduce three new boarders, one being a relative of mine. It seems odd that this would warrant being in the newspaper. If Mike sees this could he pinpoint it on a map please, the number was 40 something but not sure what. Thanks,
Lynne.

The institution in Carpenter road is named the Blind asylum. In Ann st the only vaguely possible organisation might be the Birmingham General Provident & Benevolent institution at no 49 (with other firms at the same number), which i suppose might have blind connections, though I am dubious

Thanks Mike, I cant read the number properly, its sort of smudged, but its definately Ann Street.

Lynne
The report (I take it it is the one from the Birm J. 27.9.1862) only says the meeting was held in Ann st, not that the institution was in Ann St. This could have been at any institution that had a spare room free to hire ( for nothing if feeling generous) A meeting such as this might well be held in the centre of town to allow easier access to the governors.

Have just realised that the meeting I quoted could not be the same as yours, as it does not give a number in Ann st . this shows, though, that the meetings are usually held there.

Mike there are 2 snippets, dated two weeks apart, only one gives the number, it is 49. I agree its just a meeting place, seems strange to put it in the newspaper, maybe not much had happened and they needed to fill the page. Thanks again.
Lynne.

Back