• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inspector Cliff Tebbett

Mike T.

Brummie babby
My father sadly died twelve years ago, but I just wondered if anyone remembered him? Inspector Cliff Tebbett. He joined Birmingham City Police circa 1950 (he was to short to join Worcestershire Constabulary!) and eventually retired in 1974 with the rank of Inspector. He was latterly at Steelhouse Lane, but had also worked from Cotteridge, Kings Heath, and Sir Harrys Road amongst many other stations. He also 'did time' in the new Information Room circa mid-sixties. Mother is still alive and it would be nice to pass on any memories of Dad that anyone might have! He had a fund of hilarious stories if his time in the Force (not 'Police Service')..... Many thanks..... Mike Tebbett

Welcome to the Forum, Mike. Hope your post will ring a bell with some members.

Chris

I do have a memory of Inspector Cliff Tebbutt. I believe my father served alongside him in the RAF during the war and they occasionally met in reunions. In 1969 I worked for an insurance broking firm who also covered my car. When I left they failed to renew a cover note and I was stopped by a constable from Digbeth police station who intended to book me for driving without insurance. I know my father had a 'word' almost certainly with Insp Tebbutt and I heard no more.

Hi Mike,

I remember your father very well. He was my inspector when I was a sergeant at Steelhouse Lane. I remember that he retired to the depths of Worcestershire.

Old Boy

I do have a memory of Inspector Cliff Tebbutt. I believe my father served alongside him in the RAF during the war and they occasionally met in reunions. In 1969 I worked for an insurance broking firm who also covered my car. When I left they failed to renew a cover note and I was stopped by a constable from Digbeth police station who intended to book me for driving without insurance. I know my father had a 'word' almost certainly with Insp Tebbutt and I heard no more.

Gosh ........was your father was known as 'Casso' ?????? .... and who ran a sheet metal fabricating business in Birmingham ?? ......... ran a series of cars with the registration no "1 JOB" ????

Yes indeed - how did you connect the name Clark with 'Casso' or to be precise Cassinello? He ran the business with my grandfather in Waverley Rd and he had a series of cars registration 1 JOB starting on March 1st 1963 (no picking and chosing in those days -you had to wait for it to come up) with his first Triumph Vitesse. Kept it until 1976 when he sold it for £150. I last saw it on a Rolls Royce owned by the person who owns Pertemps Staff Agency. I daren't imagine its value today. Back in 1959 he had WON 100 on a Triumph TR3A. Sadly he died in 1984.

I always remembered the name Cliff Tebbett (sorry for the mistake) but knew very little about him. I think I have a name and address for him in one of dad's old address books. Was he in India or with 73 Squadron?

Your father served with mine at RAF 322MU (Maintenance Unit) in Cawnpore, then in India but now of course in Pakistan. They remained very good pals after the war and I well remember visiting your fathers workshop on many occasions for a cup of tea and a chat and seeing the Vitesse "1 JOB" parked outside! I also remember 'Casso' visiting us at our then home in Kings Heath also in the Vitesse of course! In 1965 your father made up some drain gutters and one or two other small parts for our 1930 Austin Seven (it has a Mulliners of Bordesley Green Road fabric saloon body) and the parts are still on the car and in fine condition! I think your father moved to Germany and sadly Dad lost touch with him, would that be correct? I have a photograph taken in a hangar of the Warwick Flight at RAF Cawnpore with all the 'erks', including of course our respective fathers, have you a copy of this? There is a Vickers Warwick parked up behind them. I also have fathers Album with I think some snaps of your Dad, indeed I think if I remember correctly that your father was the one who took most of the pictures, it was probably against Kings Regulations!!!! It would be a pleasure to let you have copies of these photos. It is really splendid to make contact with you!

Hi Mike,

I remember your father very well. He was my inspector when I was a sergeant at Steelhouse Lane. I remember that he retired to the depths of Worcestershire.

Old Boy

Many thanks for this, but Mom and Dad retired initially to Cornwall, but then moved back to Worcestershire. Was he a good boss?....... no need to answer!

Back