• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

INMANS 1911 CENSUS - LIVING AT 48 WOLSLEY STREET, BORDESLEY

Wacky

proper brummie kid
1911 censu listed are Pricilla and samuel Inman and children - Fredrick, William, Henry, Lily and my grandfather as adopted child of 4. years, again in 1939 it would appear my grandfather is still living there with his own family.
any information appreciated many thanks

Ernest Arthur Mander appears have been the son of Thomas Mander & Susan Hawkes.

Susan died in 1906 and Thomas then married Celia Grosvenor in 1909.

With Thomas & Celia are Ernest's brother Edward & his half brother Henry, the illegitimate son of Susan.

i see your problem wacky pricilla and samuel married for 27 years so the adopted earnest arthur looks like mander aged 4 is neither pricilla or samuels child which leaves the son frederick alfred aged 25 single but if he was earnests dad why is earnest not an inman...edit post...i see MWS has solved it for you

lyn

i see your problem wacky pricilla and samuel married for 27 years so the adopted earnest arthur looks like mander aged 4 is neither pricilla or samuels child which leaves the son frederick alfred aged 25 single but if he was earnests dad why is earnest not an inman...edit post...i see MWS has solved it for you

lyn

lyn
Earnest Arther appears to have been born in Railway Terrace Aston in 1905 - have found a entry from Birth so will send for his birth certificate, have looked into Innis family to see if any "out of wedlock" births but have drawn a blank, its bit of a conundrum - Wolsley street Bordesley and Railway terrace were poor working class area's and not that far from each other = 2/3 miles i think why would a family take a child in if not connected in some way,?? i know older children were often taken in to work and help with finances etc, but he is very young for that to have been the reason, and this household were working so why would they want the added burden of such a young child i believe there has to be a connection between the Innis and mander family somewhere - just havnt found it yet,
There are some differences in the spellings of his name, but the fact that my grandfather was still living in the same house with his own family in 1939 - it has to be the same person. --

Ernest Arthur Mander - there is a birth registered 1906 (Oct, Nov, Dec quarter) with mmn Hawkes,

yes you would think there must be family connection somewhere and maybe there is but not always the case for instance i could not find my grandmother on the 1911 tried for ages under her birth name of kate alice downes then it came to me that dad told me that she was taken in by a family friend at the age of 8 months when both of her parents died 1 day apart in 1908 dad said she was taken in by george henry doyle and his wife so i searched the 1911 for him and sure enough there was my nan down as kate alice doyle aged 4 daughter.. :rolleyes:she did however marry under the name of downes

lyn

Susannah seemed to have had quite a few brothers & sisters, so a little surprised one of them didn't take him in.

Can't see any obvious connection between the two families.

There is a death registered in 1906 (Oct, quarter) of a Susan Mander

MANDER,
SUSAN
GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in ASTON Volume 06D Page 196
There is also a marriage of a Susan Hawkes to Thomas Mander in 1899. I suspect that this is the Mother of Ernest but at the moment I haven't got a connection with the Inman family.
1617294211554.png
This may be coincidence

Last edited:
There is a baptism at St James the Less, Ashted for an Ernest Arthur Mander son of Susannah and Thomas
1617295123895.png
I think I have Susan(nah) on 1901 census with 2 children Henry aged 4 and Edward aged 1 but no husband. I have found birth of Edward mmn Hawkes which fits but not that for Henry at the moment.

No way of knowing if these are the right people. Looks as if Henry was brought up by Hawkes family and Edward Possibly brought up by Mander family.

Last edited:
I am now puzzled. The baptism of Ernest has Father as Thomas William but on Ernest's marriage cert to Violet it is Thomas Arthur. Thomas William son of Henry and Annie (which fits) dies in WW1 and Celia is listed as a widow. I am left to assume there is an error on the marriage cert.

On his marriage to Susannah, Thomas' father is Henry, a sawyer.

And tracing back he is Thomas William Mander mmn Hortin.

A mistake on Ernest's part maybe, confusing his father's middle name with his own.

Back