• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Does anyone remember Alma Crecsent which ran across Inkerman St.There used to be a Sweet shop on the corner.I lived at 27 Alma Crecsent and went to Loxton st school.When I was 11yrs old 1938,we moved to Kingstanding into a posh new house with a bathroom. Would love to see a photo of Alma Crecsent back then.

Have a nice day, Wally.
Hi Wally,
My Father used to live in Alma Crescent, he also went to Loxton st school. He was born in 1921, his name was Norman Hicken.

Hi, Jim, Sorry I don't recall that name also he would have been six years older than me, but thanks for posting that. Wally.

Hi, Jim, Sorry I don't recall that name also he would have been six years older than me, but thanks for posting that. Wally.
Hi Wally,
Thanks for the reply, He had a younger sister called Olive who was born in 1927, I am not sure when they left Alma Crescent.
Jim

Hi stars
I certaintly recall the building of that block they call Inkerman House we lived around on victoria road

When we got married we lived in Inkerman House on the very top floor of the block
The flat was bang on in the middle at the rear side the views was fantastic
But trying to get up and down was a night mare on that lift at asny given time of day or night
As you could immagine thank god at that time we only had one daughter then got to more now
Thank god we moved out as there was a decline within the area with rough sleepers
And gangs up on the landing drinkers

Damaged houses in Inkerman Street in 1940. Viv.

Attachments

• 1BE302C8-F138-4854-B994-71CD2DC1080C.jpeg
    1BE302C8-F138-4854-B994-71CD2DC1080C.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 35
Have moved this post to the main Inkerman St thread. Coleman St has no connection to Inkerman St. Its relationship is shown below, Coleman st in red, Inkerman St in blue

map c1905 showing coleman st and inkerman st.jpg

Thanks Mike. I didn't think it was a physical link. I was just trying to work out how my gg grandparents met! They wouldn't have been passing in the street would they? But thanks for taking the time to help me. Gives me something to work on! xx

Do you know how I can blow it up to make a physical hard copy Mike? Sorry to keep waking you up!!! haha

If you click on it and then save. a photo program would enable you to enlarge, though might be a bit fuzzy . The map is from the oldmaps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/). Alan Godrey does maps of the area at various dates (https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/ ), but the area covered here is on part of 4 maps, Birmingham North, Birmingham east, Birmingham Saltley and Birmingham Central (these are £3 each plus £2.00 postage for any number of maps)

If you click on it and then save. a photo program would enable you to enlarge, though might be a bit fuzzy . The map is from the oldmaps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/). Alan Godrey does maps of the area at various dates (https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/ ), but the area covered here is on part of 4 maps, Birmingham North, Birmingham east, Birmingham Saltley and Birmingham Central (these are £3 each plus £2.00 postage for any number of maps)
thank you so much Mike! I'll send for some maps now!! x

memories of inkerman street, how lovely,i lived at 145 inkerman street, from about 1960 till 1970 i meet my husband ron pickford in feb 1970 got married in dec 1970 ,we have 5 chirldren ,and 23 granchirldren just had our ruby wedding anniversary, my husband lived in cato street,cant find any thing about cato street , happy times ............................
Hi, do you remember, the family ward who lived at 144 inkerman St

Hi Inkerman Street wallers, I to was born in Inkerman St. at number 141 opposite Mrs Penzers shop. I to remember the Waldens Sheila, Brenda, they had a brother called Bob, and their parents were jim and Kate.
Also the brittania where the publican s were the Bedford family in the 1940/50s they had a son called Jeffrey. there were also the sherbons, the Dixons the boot menders
Mrs Weston, the faulkners, the Gunns,the James's, Laura Nicholls,

there is quite a bit I remember I lived there for 26 years till 1966
Hi, do you remember the ward family, they lived at 144. Cheers D

Does anyone remember a crisp factory on the corner of Erskine Street and Inkerman Street opposite the Midland pub?
There was also a cafe on the corner of Erskine Street and Dolman Street. My lovely mother-in law Edie Hill used to give my husband Brian 9d to go in the circle at The Gaiety Picture house because she reckoned he got nits when he went in the stalls lol. One day as she was passing the cafe, she saw Brian coming out of it. When she asked where he got the money from, he had to own up and say he'd gone in the stalls and spent what he saved in the caf. Every time she told me that story it made me laugh. Needless to say, he got a thick ear. Brian and family lived at 169 Inkerman Street. He has been entertaining me with stories of life on the bomb peck. Being trundled home in a wheel barrow by Robert Walden after stepping on a rusty nail.

I was born in Inkerman St Vauxhall in 1943.
Was anyone born around that area in 1943 if so
would love to hear from you.
Take Care Always Everyone.
Hi Sheila.

I lived in that area in Dollman Street but not in 1943 but 1966 for that is when I was born!

Hi my name was Pat Sheasby i lived at 160 inkerman street in the early 60s i lived with my aunt my parents lived in dollman street i went to guides with brenda waldron who had a siter sheila
Hi Pat

I think you and I could have been in the same class at Loxton Street; Brenda Waldron was definitely a classmate and your name rings a bell....

Graham

Back