• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inkerman St Vauxhall

Hi Carole.I heard say that Rennie and her son Steven live at Cotterills Lane/Belchers Lane.I remember the tin bath in front of the coal fire could you see the kids of today doing that lol It's a shame the kids of today aint safe to play out.Are you on facebook Carole because there are people on there from down the old end.Irene

Hi Irean no I'm not on Facebook. My daughter keeps saying I should you could imagine the Kids today with a tin bath.I remember Steve vaguely. I went to inkerman St a couple of years ago.All the names of the streets are still there but that's it was so different I felt a bit sad.Carole

Last edited by a moderator:
Carole welcome to the forum, I have tried to contact you privately but you do not have your messaging facility in place, just to remind you that we don't really use text- talk
on the forum,as you can see I have amended your posts. Alberta

Hi Irean I've got myself on Facebook. With my daughters help.Do you just look up peoples names or is there a sight you go on to.Carole

Here are a couple of photos. My wife lived there as a kid in about 1957
and went to Alma st school. I believe the street is not there now, but
a tower block of flats is called Inkerman House is there now. I hope this helps.

Regards Stars

Image28_Inkerman_Street_1960.jpg Image29.jpgHigh st between New St and Inkerman St.jpg PhillipsSt1968  off newtown row..think this is inkerman house going up.jpg

Does anyone remember Alma Crecsent which ran across Inkerman St.There used to be a Sweet shop on the corner.I lived at 27 Alma Crecsent and went to Loxton st school.When I was 11yrs old 1938,we moved to Kingstanding into a posh new house with a bathroom. Would love to see a photo of Alma Crecsent back then.

Have a nice day, Wally.
Hi Wally,
My Father used to live in Alma Crescent, he also went to Loxton st school. He was born in 1921, his name was Norman Hicken.

Hi, Jim, Sorry I don't recall that name also he would have been six years older than me, but thanks for posting that. Wally.

Hi, Jim, Sorry I don't recall that name also he would have been six years older than me, but thanks for posting that. Wally.
Hi Wally,
Thanks for the reply, He had a younger sister called Olive who was born in 1927, I am not sure when they left Alma Crescent.
Jim

Hi stars
I certaintly recall the building of that block they call Inkerman House we lived around on victoria road

When we got married we lived in Inkerman House on the very top floor of the block
The flat was bang on in the middle at the rear side the views was fantastic
But trying to get up and down was a night mare on that lift at asny given time of day or night
As you could immagine thank god at that time we only had one daughter then got to more now
Thank god we moved out as there was a decline within the area with rough sleepers
And gangs up on the landing drinkers

Damaged houses in Inkerman Street in 1940. Viv.

Attachments

• 1BE302C8-F138-4854-B994-71CD2DC1080C.jpeg
    1BE302C8-F138-4854-B994-71CD2DC1080C.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 35
Have moved this post to the main Inkerman St thread. Coleman St has no connection to Inkerman St. Its relationship is shown below, Coleman st in red, Inkerman St in blue

map c1905 showing coleman st and inkerman st.jpg

Back