• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inge street 1861

Walrussell

Brummie babby
Hi Folks, this is my first time on BHF so please forgive any early errors!

I'm looking for a map with Inge Street before the Hippodrome was built. I have a family of Hills and Bents in Court 2 Inge Street in 1861, which I assume is on the opposite side to the NT Back to Backs. This side of the road does not exist in the 1885 or 1910 maps I've seen as I guess they were demolished to make way for the Hippodrome

Does the Library have an earlier map, in which case I can take a gander when I'm in Brum next.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for this John
Looks like the Assembly Rooms and Tivoli were an early version of the Hippodrome. I read on Wikipedia that the Hipp was built about 1895.

Not sure there are enough houses on the other side of Inge Street to cover no's 1 to 26 plus the many back courts in the 1861 census, but this is a good start. I shall print it off an enlarged version and study it with a magnifying glass.

Once again thanks for your prompt reply

Andy

Andy
Have expanded on the 1890 map. The pub (marked in blue) is "The Barrel" which is no 11 Inge St. The court numbers run from the north side on hte east end , down the north side and then up the south side of the street. Court 3 is just before The Barrel pub, and so must be the court marked in yellow. Therefore court 2 must be the one before ( in red).
On reposting lost image I replaced map with larger scale map c1889 with same colouring
mike

map_c_1889_inge_st_with_courts_22C32C112C_barrell_and_robin_hood.jpg

Thanks Mike

this looks to be just what I'm after. Looks like it will have Court 2 on it. Very grateful, guess I will look more closely at the site it comes from as well.

Broadwoodwidger is actually about 4 miles away and very close to Roadford Lake (Reservoir). Guess, there are plenty of Toads in there and Ratty's in the many farmers barns around here

Very grateful, I don't get back to brum very often but did get to see the back to backs last week which was good. Next time I must get into the library and peruse their map collection.

Cheers and thanks again

Andy

The modified map in my last post shows court 2. I take it you have read Living Back to back by Chris Upton., as this deals a lot with court 15 (on the other side of the road )
mike

Hi Mike

Excellent, you responded whilst I was printing and analysing your first version. I came to the same conclusion on which was court 2. I went through the 1861 census and put all the houses in Inge Street into a spreadsheet and I followed the house numbers up to the pub and deduced which was court 2. The George Bent living there in 1861 was my GGGrandfather and he was living there with his daughter Sarah from his previous marriage and the mother of his four illegitimate daughters. He later married her (bigamously) and had a further 8 children to add to his five from his previous marriage and his four Illeg. daughters.

No I haven't read the book by Chris Upton but fully intend to, gonna order it from the local library if I can.

All the best and thanks for all your help:)

Andy

Hello folks...I also have family living in Inge St, but on the 1881 census at no. 9 plus 8 house 11 court..I have never nailed down exactly where these houses were in the street, especially as Inge St was split in two by Hurst St ( plainly seen on John Knights map ) so I suppose it all depends on WHICH end the numbers start !!!

Margaret.

I have had another look at the 1881 & my Goddards at no.9 were 2 doors away from "the Barrell"....my Reeves at 8 house 11 court were next door to the " Robin Hood "...so any help pinpointing this pub will be much appreciated...

Margaret:)

.Have reposted further modified map. Court 11, just after St johns chapel ( or in 1961 a school) must be the court in green. Can’t find mention of a Robin hood, but no 38 is described as a beer retailer, and so this may be the Robin hood. This is just after court 11, and so I would estimate that it would be the slatey-blue coloured building. It might be next dood though
Mike
On reposting lost image I replaced map with larger scale map c1889 with same colouring

Many thanks for posting the map for me....great ! I appreciate you taking the trouble, Mike.

Margaret.

Similat what I was trying to attach last night but my map was too many kb. Comparing, this with the Rates Map with house numbers, that the national Trust sent me, I would move the colored areas one block towards Hurst Street. The Court Mike marked is, I think, Court 10. House 8 was next to the entry (side furthest from Hurst Street) with the Robin Hood pub on the other side.

If someone can tell me how I can get the numbered Rates map small enough to post, I will give it another go.

Andy

Andy
Have expanded on the 1890 map. The pub (marked in blue) is "The Barrel" which is no 11 Inge St. The court numbers run from the north side on hte east end , down the north side and then up the south side of the street. Court 3 is just before The Barrel pub, and so must be the court marked in yellow. Therefore court 2 must be the one before ( in red).
mike

Thank you, My Great, great, great granddad Dudley Hands was a baker at number 12, just next door to The Barrell (what's the other word starting with T?) I was able to locate his house as after number 13 (Provisions dealer )and 14 (another baker) the 1851 census moves to number 1 court 4. But even then there was a gap between number 15 and 18.

Thank you, My Great, great, great granddad Dudley Hands was a baker at number 12, just next door to The Barrell (what's the other word starting with T?) I was able to locate his house as after number 13 (Provisions dealer )and 14 (another baker) the 1851 census moves to number 1 court 4. But even then there was a gap between number 15 and 18.

My 3 x Gt Grandfather Dudley Allely Hands b 1817 (same as yours?) lived at 12 Inge Street. Would this be No 12 or back of/Court 12? I believe he was a glass bead and button maker

Back