• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Information on Smith family

Amyhill

Brummie babby
Hi,

I’m looking to find more information about my family history.
My nans name is Patricia Mary Smith, born October 1952, married to Dennis Michael Steward who was born in December around 1948. My nans mom was called Mary Kathleen Blake who married a miner, Ernest Samuel Smith who passed away 1953 at the age of 29. He unfortunately lost his arm in his early 20s due to a mining accident and the trauma caused bowel cancer. We know that he had 12 brothers and sisters by the names of;
Emily M Smith, born 1918. Arthur J Smith, born 1920. William H Smith, born 1921. Edward T Smith, born 1923. Ernest S Smith, born 1924. Ethel L Smith, born 1925. Edith N Smith, born 1927. Elsie I Smith, born 1928. Irene D Smith, born 1930. Violet J Smith, born 1932. Horace G Smith, born 1934. Albert E Smith, born 1935. Gladys N Smith, born 1936.
My Grandads dad is called Alexander George Steward born in Bethnal Green London 1916. He married Mary Josephine Healy born in Dublin Ireland 1913. Alexander’s mom was called Margaret Ryan, born 1877 in Bermondsey London. She married an Edward Steven Steward who was born in 1875 in Bethnal Green London. They had the following children all born Poplar London; Margaret 1901, Edward 1906, Samuel 1908, May 1910, Francis G Steward 1912, Albert J Steward 1914, Alexander George Steward 1916. Edward, born 1875, died 1942 in Wallingford Berkshire and it is believed Margaret moved to Birmingham following his death as she passed there in 1956.
Any other information or even photos anyone may have would be very appreciated. It would be amazing to find out more about our family history.

Your Smith family came from Cannock/Lichfield area of Staffordshire. Ernest's father was John William was born n Chasetown. John William's father John was born in Brereton as was his father Robert.

Thank you so much! Can I just make sure i have this right. So my Nans biological dad, Ernest, his father was John William, who would be my nans grandad. John Williams father, John would be my nans great grandad and Johns father Robert would be her great great grandad? Do you happen to know of any dates of births or any other information? My Nan was two when Ernest, her father, passed away so she didn’t get to know a lot about him or his side of the family. Mary Kathleen Blake went on to marry William Henry Ward who my Nan grew up with as her father

Ernest Samuel Smth was the son of John William Smith & Beatrice May Street

John William Smith (1894) was the son of John Smith & Emily Jane Ash/Ashton - grandad

John Smith (1868) was the son of Robert Smith & Sarah Ann Harvey - great grandad

Robert Smith (1843) was the son of George Smith & Louisa Harvey - great greaat grandad

George Smith (1806) was the son of John Smith & Ellen Allman - great great great grandad

All of them were coal miners at some stage.

I can’t thank you enough for all of your help! I didn’t expect to hear of information dating back that far. I hope this isn’t too much to ask, but do you know if there are any photos of any of the above and where I may be able to find them? My Nan has no memory of what her dad (Ernest) looks like. My Nan managed to contact one of his last surviving family members, I believe a brother around 5 or so years ago and he said that when he lost his arm, he didn’t really want to be photographed. We always wondered if there were photos around of him or any information on the accident he had in his 20’s. We really do appreciate the information you have given us so thank you very much!!

I'd be surprised if there weren't photos of John William Smith, he was alive after 1939. Possibly died 1956. If there are any photos then I'd guess other descendants would have them.

And going back to Robert Smith & Sarah Ann Harvey, it appears that they were cousins. Robert's mother was the sister of Sarah Ann's father.

I will have to see if I can find them somehow. Oh dear... that’s not great haha.
Do you happen to know dates / any more information for John Smith and Ellen Allman at all please?

That's likely to be the end in the Smith line. John is dead by 1841 so it would be difficult to pinpoint him with any certainty.

Ellen though is with George on the 1841 & 1851 censuses. She had re-married and was Ellen Durber. Her birth is listed as 1781 Ecclesall, Staff and she dies in 1858. Haven't found her parents.

Wow! Well thank you so much for all of your help, it’s interesting to know about all of the information you have given

Back