• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inf.on windows 8

Betty Hopper

master brummie
Hello can someone tell me please, what is a Cross Loop Connect ?????
Also what would you use it for???

Betty Hopper

Hello can someone tell me please, what is a Cross Loop Connect ?????
Also what would you use it for???

Betty Hopper

Hi Betty

Crossloop

CrossLoop is a remote desktop service from CrossLoop Inc., which allows users to share their computer screens and collaborate with others over the Internet. Wikipedia

I think it's a bit Tech.

Ray

As Ray says, it's a program which allows a couple of users to access each other's computers.

I find it very useful helping a couple of friends to sort out their pc problem. You get access to their machine, see what they are seeing on their screen (and if necessary take over their mouse) and talk them through things by phone whilst it's all happening.

Nothing can happen without the consent of both partners.

Chris

Last edited:
Nothing can happen without the consent of both partners

As Chris mentions, BUT, it is certainly not a facility to be granted to someone, or a company, that you do not know or trust. Be on your guard when considering this.

You can do the same on Windows 7, BT Tech Support took over my PC screen when I had an email problem (my emails where going straight into 'trash' file) it was weird watching the mouse arrow darting all over the screen, but they sorted the problem out. Eric

As Chris mentions, BUT, it is certainly not a facility to be granted to someone, or a company, that you do not know or trust. Be on your guard when considering this.

In other words, if a person phones you up and says they are from "Microsoft Support" or "Windows support" or some other vague name, and says they have noticed something wrong with your computer (running slow, giving major errors and that sort of thing) then DONT believe them.

And certainly don't let them install any software on your computer (and don't visit any web site they ask you to visit).

These people are criminals and mainly interested in stealing money from you (by getting you to pay for non-existent computer support).

Never give them any financial details such as credit card number.

In fact NEVER give anyone your credit card number who just phones you up out the blue.

HELLO FELLA'S,

Many thanks for your help & advice. I think I was right to be concerned!!!!
Having read your comments I am still not too sure what to do.
I am hoping it is my Grandson who lives in Colorado, who has sorted it out so that he can help me.
I will have to contact him to find out and in the meantime be aware of it on my desktop.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ..... to you all.
Betty Hopper

The programs that give "other people" control of your computer have been around for quite some time now. I remember one that worked by direct modem connection before the internet arrived. It's useful if you don't know much about computers and have a friend that helps you out by internet or a contract with a reputable support company (usually something you get through your employer). If you have a good idea of what you're doing on your computer, I wouldn't bother with such things. You'll learn more by having a service engineer talk you through the problem and that might help you deal with the same issue next time. If Support is any good, they will probably prefer this method too as it raises awareness of what they do and often helps with identifying the cause. On the other hand there will always be issues too technical for even an advanced user and cases where the user really doesn't know what they're doing.

In other words, if a person phones you up and says they are from "Microsoft Support" or "Windows support" or some other vague name, and says they have noticed something wrong with your computer (running slow, giving major errors and that sort of thing) then DONT believe them.

If any of you have had the scam support call, you might be interested to know what all of the stuff they show you is. Every time a program fails or has any problems it writes an entry in the error log. Most of the time you will get a message that says "has encountered a problem and needs to close. Do you wish to submit an error report?". These callers will have you look at the error log and claim it is somehow influenced by the internet or something malicious. You will get regular entries in this log even if the computer has never connected to the internet. If I'm bored, I'll go through the motions pretending to use a linux pc or an Android tablet saying that's the one I use to get on the internet. It irritates them and wastes a lot of time. Or I use a windows pc and get to the point where they say to download something and tell them that the only internet connection is a dial-up on the line they're using which also stops them dead.

Back