• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Individuals on Family Tree Maker 2005

Ewan

master brummie
I have been using Family Tree Genealogy Suite Version 4, and I used to have the option to view all individuals I had ever entered on different trees. I have started to use Family Tree Maker 2005, but there doesn't appear to be the same option, I can only see individuals in separate trees as opposed to all individuals I have entered.

Can anyone that has/is using this program clarify please.

Many thanks

I have been using Family Tree Genealogy Suite Version 4, and I used to have the option to view all individuals I had ever entered on different trees. I have started to use Family Tree Maker 2005, but there doesn't appear to be the same option, I can only see individuals in separate trees as opposed to all individuals I have entered.

Can anyone that has/is using this program clarify please.

Many thanks
I have spent a lot of time looking into my family tree.

You need to remember when looking at births that some times parents could not read or write so spelling can cause some odd problems.

When looking at marriages, if you think you found the person you are looking for but the age don't seem correct I've found a number of my family ancestors gave incorrect ages, check parents names, address can sometimes confirm you have the correct person. Not sure when but the age of consent used to be 21, I think it changed around (1969?) .

Children's names, I found a number of times that the first male will often take his fathers name but children often died when very young so the second male will sometimes also take same name, so some times you will find a family with three males with same name.

Because parents often could not read or write they will mark the certificate with a X.

I've already said that I have spent a lot of time on my family tree, not done much the last few years but I'm tempted to have another look.

When you have spent hours getting no where and you are feeling I'm giving up then from no where you realise you found the person you have been looking for , a smile will come.

Wish best of luck

Nick S Phillips

Hello Nick

Thank you for the reply, if you read my question and see what you have written it appears it is a different issue you are discussing

Ewan, I understood what you asked, my reply was that it can be difficult at times.

I was just explaining some of the issues that I've had doing my research.
And thought it could have been helpful if you are at the start of your research, sorry if I wasted your time.

Nick S Phillips

Not familiar with either package but you could try the user guide on Amazon - currently £4.76, but no guarantee that software has the feature you are looking for :(
The Official Guide To Family Tree Maker 2005 Paperback

Nick, no need for an apology as you were not at all wasting my time, your answer just didn't seem relevant to my question, although it would be very good advice for anyone that had just started their family history.

I just wanted to know basically if there was an option that you could click on within a program that would show all the individuals that had ever been entered.

Times have changed considerably since I first started, almost 30 years ago, I liked nothing more than visiting London and hauling all the huge books of parish records from the shelves and scanning them with sometimes very tired eyes or family names. A lot easier nowadays with the internet. :D

mbenned, thank you for that suggestion I will certainly have a look at it. :)

Apologies Ewan - didn't read the question properly (reminds me of school exams :worried:) Could you perhaps append/merge all the trees and then do a custom report as I mentioned before? John

Apologies Ewan - didn't read the question properly (reminds me of school exams :worried:) Could you perhaps append/merge all the trees and then do a custom report as I mentioned before? John

Lol, that is the problem I had in school exams, but I don't think we are alone with that one. I am an exam invigilator and that is something I always emphasize. I think I am going to abandon the idea of seeing all individuals I have collected, as I have a more pressing problem of transferring my tree to a FTM 2012, which I have read is not possible to do from Family Tree Genealogy Suite Version 4 (according to reviews for the FTM 2012).

Thank you John for you help

Back