• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

indian restaurants

Stevehanson

master brummie
Does anyone remember the Curry Centre, at the bottom of the Bristol Road almost next door to the Scala picture house. It was one of the first Curry Houses in Birmingham.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am currently working on a project on Indian restaurants in Birmingham in the years 1950-1980. If anyone has any pictures from that time in an Indian restaurant or old advertisements that would be amazing !!

There must be many adverts existing in the local press for Indian restaurant. Have you the names of any of particular interest ?

There must be many adverts existing in the local press for Indian restaurant. Have you the names of any of particular interest ?
none in particular. But my research is looking into how curry houses offered an affordable meal out for many people at the time.

" how curry houses offered an affordable meal out for many people at the time"

The business plan and the food served.

Most restaurant's were family owned and run with members working long hours for less pay than the workers in unionised industries around them is and was a major factor for keeping cost down plus the willingness to perhaps work on a lower profit margin than many other food businesses. The same model applied to retail shops too.

Secondly the ingredients, Curry is based more on vegetables, dried legume/pulses and spice the meat...the base ingredients are low cost.

No photo but the Curry centre on Bristol Street was very popular in 1967, chap on the door had an Indian army ? Uniform on with a massive sword so never got much trouble.

Some curry houses used mutton or goat in their curry’s, which had become less popular and therefore cheaper.

The good curry houses use mutton or goat, still do. I love goat but can only get it when I drive into Cardiff. There used to be a fantastic Jamaican cafe/take away on Dudley road and their goat dishes were fantastic. If you were a regular you could buy little bags of off menu 'special herbs' too ;)

Back