• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Uniform c1879

John
You are correct bike no brakes or mud guards, carbide lamp and note the pedals and Large Gear or Sprocket made before 1900.
If you got sunstroke you were put on a charge so you had to wear the helmet provided (Wolseley pattern,made out of cork )
Wearing that field service cap in the pic till 1906-7 (Nickname The Chip Bag)
And Khaki Drill uniform the chevron on his arm states one year overseas service  (Smaller chevrons Good Conduct) A bit confusing as it was the time of change and some regiments abroad where years out in keeping up with changing patterns

he was younger here date not known he enlisted at Walsall 1st July 1878 so I should imagine this was after is training am I right Cromwell

John ,
Rethink as I think cap is Glengarry not brodrick
Period c. 1879, same tunic etc as worn in Zulu war Coat bright Red trousers Very Dark Blue [not suggesting shot in Africa!], glengarry and badge confirm this sort of date.  The chevron is a Good Conduct badge: there is little uniformity as to which arm, or indeed both, around that time.  As to regiment, impossible to say, except infantry and not Guards.

I have my G-grandfathers army discharge papers, circa 1873, he was discharged through having an enlarged liver while serving in India,
It states on the papers the cause is "by service in India'

Back