• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

William Charles House, Independent Dairyman?

PYork

proper brummie kid
Looking for help finding my 2x Great grandfather. William Charles House (1858-1939) in 1891 and until WW2 he was a dairyman. I have documentation of him living in 1 Cambridge Place, Bloomsbury Street, Duddeston, Birmingham, Warwickshire; Hutton Gardens, Lady Wood, Birmingham; and Grosvenor St (W), Lady Wood.
Unfortunately he only had one child that lived to adulthood, Fredrick Tizzard House (1891-1948) and none of Fredrick's children are alive to give any information. Family history was sketchy at best. I am in the USA. Would love any help that can be given. I did see a thread about dairy's and will also post there.

Is it 1891 you )are looking for him. If so he was then at 3 Hutton gardens, Grosvenor St West (see attached). Hutton Gardens is the Court marked as Court 30 on the map. Courts were originally numbered, but also often given names.
map c 1889 showing 3 Hutton gardens.jpgwarw.birm.ladywood.dist.9.p.40.jpg

Yes, I have that census record. I would like to figure out if he worked for a specific dairy. His son also was a dairyman. His son still used a horse/mule drawn cart till he died. All of the census records I have state "own account"
I have 1899, 1901, 1911 census's and electoral registers and directories. I am trying to "work sideways" to find any information I can. I do not have a death date for Alice Mary (their child on the next page of your census attachment). I am also unable to locate a marriage entry for William and Nancy. Nancy Tizard House was from Dorset

here is the directory entry from 1940

Attachments

• HouseWmChas_milkseller.jpg
    HouseWmChas_milkseller.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Should add that the court , with that house was still marked on maps till the 1960s

Here is my great grandfather's address

Attachments

• House,FrT_ER_GrTindalSt.jpg
    House,FrT_ER_GrTindalSt.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 2
Heis listed in the Kellys directories as a milk seller at 101 grosvenor st west in the 1903 edition (which would refer to 1902) up till his death. He is not there in the 1900 edition (which would refer to 1899).
In the 1899 & 1900 editions he is a milk seller next door at 99 Grosvenor st west . He is not listed in the 1897 edition at all. When he is listed ( he will have been working for himself . Before that he probably was working for someone else.

Ok, thanks. In census documents William is listed as a milk carrier.
Any suggestions as to finding his marriage and birth documents?
William and Nancy are listed as parents at Alice Mary's baptism

Attachments

• HouseAliceMbaptism.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I am also unable to locate a marriage entry for William and Nancy. Nancy Tizard House was from Dorset
Don't forget that they may not have been married. It was not unusual for people to move to different places and tell people they were married.

Back