• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Inauguration of Birmingham Inner Ring Road

An aerial view of the developing Inner Ring Road in 1960. Viv.

4D888110-346B-4F4F-BC99-C794E5EAB85C.jpeg

And a street level view of one section .
7BF4B0A8-07BC-491E-BA0F-794C87DABE1B.jpeg

Preparations for a flyover section of the IRRd
9FC9CE1B-FD49-46D4-997F-D280FFAC6AD8.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Not a hard hat nor yellow jacket to be seen anywhere! The days when common sense was the only safety protection you needed.
That is simply not true, there were over 300 building workers a year dying on construction sites in the UK. That not to mention the numbers who suffered life changing injuries. So-called common-sense does not govern or dictate the behaviour of the others.

Perhaps I'd have been better to say "The days when common sense was the only safety protection you had."
Yes, I think that would be a better choice of words.

When I started in the construction industry, the conditions of some of these sites was appalling. Often knee deep in mud, with all sorts of nasties hiding in the mud like nails in wood etc. The pit loos that stunk awful and just a bucket of cold water to wash in. You would eat your food sitting outside on a plank or tin can.

All of this was a commercial choice by the company, so I was please to see legislation bought in to remove some of these unsafe practices.

In the sixties, I remember the name “Inner Ring Road” being bandied about. I also remember TV and newspaper reports about it but never really had any concept of where it actually was. (Also I can’t say as an 8/9 year old that I was particularly interested in roads). It’s really only since seeing old newspaper articles that I’ve been able to get some real sense of what it was, how complex it was and what a mammoth undertaking it was to build.

Preparatory work seems to go back to the 1950s, a time when Birmingham, like many other cities, was faced with the enormous job of repairing or replacing the damages of WW2. Seems to me that Birmingham thought by the 1950s the way forward was to ‘replace, rather than repair’ taking the City through a grand plan of sweeping away where possible.

I wonder if anyone could accurately describe the full course of what and where the Inner Ring Road was without looking at a plan ? Some parts have subsequently been dug up, relaid, widened and parts perhaps re-routed. Even the name doesn’t seem to be in use today, with sections of the road now having their own specific names.

And what confusion, mess and disorientation the creation of it must have brought to the City Centre. I know my mum welcomed the modern changes seeing little value in salvaging broken, run-down buildings of another, long gone era. But I’m sure there must have been many who were sceptical. For some like my mum who’d lived and worked through the War, it would have symbolised progress and a new start. And I think that must have washed off on me, as from a child’s eye, to me it was fresh, and much more interesting than old, dirty imposing buildings lining dark, narrow roads with dreadful uneven pavements. Today that would be regarded as quaint. How our values change over time.

This one (hazy) image below sparked all the above thoughts.

Viv

E4920C01-2AA4-41AD-800C-9829BA3E0E58.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
The first of these shows what a huge building site the City Centre was in the late 50s. The second photo strikes me as slightly ridiculous - I doubt they really knew what they were looking at ! Viv.

D09D5AED-BA8B-4681-B53A-88DAEB3B13A8.jpegBDCCB376-7531-4609-98D6-9D926C657874.jpeg81C36EDB-2090-46BF-9871-41233FB57B64.jpeg
4ADE0466-C0AB-4FCE-BD08-C372E1A9F59C.jpeg
0BBEDADD-837E-4863-A9D3-6CF0C3C47ED2.jpeg78819AD7-DC5B-49A2-89AB-9D17F12AF04A.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
I doubt that they realised what they were looking at Viv, they would been focused on the "freebie" banquet afterwards. ;)

They look like a bunch of 'Twirlies' waiting till 9:30 when they can use their bus passes!

I quote Norman Tiptaft writing in the last months of the war:

At present the number of private motorcars is considerably restricted. Those restrictions will not continue when manufacturers are able to produce new ones. With a higher standard of living which has obtained during the war period, and which may quite well continue for a time afterwards, the demand for cars is likely to be far beyond the capacity of our present roads to carry. That will involve considerable replanning in the centre of the city.

The Public Works Committee has decided that most of the problems can be met by the construction of an inner ring road, which will encircle the city at a point approximately not more than half a mile from New Street Station. It is suggested that this road should have a width of at least 110 feet, should be constructed with appropriate carriage ways, adequate footpaths and have facilities for omnibus loading stations along its entire length. It will run from the junction of Great Charles Street and Snow Hill, via Snow Hill to Corporation Place, Stafford Street, Moor Street, at a point below Carrs Lane, be carried to the junction of High Street and New Street, and on to Worcester Street, Smallbrook Street, Suffolk Street – connecting at the other end of Great Charles Street near the Hall of Memory. Colmore Row will be widened to at least 80 feet, and will probably form the chief omnibus loading place of the city centre.

It is considered essential that New Street and Corporation Street should be free, both from through traffic and public service vehicles, because their main purpose is shopping. Shopping streets do not require wide carriageways although the footpaths may need to be wider than at present. The small factories in the neighbourhood of Snow Hill will eventually disappear, and the shopping and business area will spread outwards, at least to the new ring road. At present the shopping area in Birmingham is too small, and an extension appears desirable.

If the local authority could start replanning from the ground up, it would be a simpler problem, but it has to take account of existing conditions. A patchwork solution is not worthwhile, but reconstruction cannot be easy as when building an entirely new city. The construction of an inner ring road, plus some street widening, will – it is thought – solve most of Birmingham's central traffic problems for the immediate future. Most of the main arteries leading to the city will have to be increased in width.

Unfortunately, while submitting a bold and comprehensive scheme, neither the Public Works Committee nor the Council knows at present how the bill is to be paid.....

........ One necessary condition of lessening traffic intensity is taking cars off the road, where they would otherwise be standing, and transferring them to car parks. A scheme has already been approved for a car park holding from 1200 to 1500 vehicles, underneath the gardens of the future Civic Centre at Broad Street, while two others are suggested, one in Digbeth and one adjoining Snow Hill.

Those more knowledgeable than I about the current city will tell us whether this is precisely what happened. Or not.

The one thing I do remember about the city in the war years was the wide dual carriageways (and how modern and forward thinking they looked) with their centre reservation occupied by the trams. And especially the evidence that work in some places had stopped suddenly and might, conceivably, have to await a time in the inconceivably distant future when work could be resumed - if ever. An example of this I knew well was the Kingstanding Road between Perry Barr and Kingstanding which started off as single carriageway before diving off to the left into the section where the full dual carriageway had been completed by 1939. All signs of the farsightedness which the Council seems to have had very early on about the future of the motor car and its demands.

Chris

(Source: "I Saw a City" by Norman Tiptaft - 1945)

Maybe Nigel was a bit prescient with "higher standard of living which has obtained during the war period, and which may quite well continue for a time afterwards", in that he possibly foresaw the present situation where the standard of living is not continually increasing

Back