• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Kitchen Today

Apple pie and custard is lovely Jean, and I wish I was allowed to eat it. Colin's favourites are Spotted Dick and Sticky Toffee pudding both with custard. Well, you have certainly got a good grounding with cooking having a mother that was a good pastry and cake cook. I bet your kitchen smells nice this afternoon cooking the steak and kidney pie. I plod on with the damned arm pain Jean, see the Dr tomorrow.

I know what you men Maggs and it was so frustrating last year when I broke my arm trying to do the chores with one hand. Pete actually rolled the pastry for me and I cheated with frozen. Going to do sausage beans chips and eggs later for Pete. Mom used to cook the most tasty spotted dick but added other fruits too. I loved it with treacle and banana fritters with treacle. I can go weeks without a pudding then I fancy one or make one when Pete fancies it. Jean.

I remember you struggling with your broken arm Jean. I shall never take my arms for granted again. Frozen pastry is good for things like sausage rolls, which I used to be able to eat at one time, and loved them. We have a once a week fry up too. Double egg, chips, beans and sometimes sausage or ham. Do you do your own chip's? I can't stand those oven or microwave ones. Treacle sponge Mmmmmm. Never had a banana fritter, but possibly I wouldn't be allowed that now...not sure. I bet when you do fancy a pud, you really go to town then.

Nice link Len,I have had a quick look and they all seem tatsy, relatively easy and quite quick. Thanks.

Thanks Len I am putting that in favourites. gong to try the cottage pie with oxtail soup added for a change. Jean.

Thanks Len,Have used this site a while ago, but had forgotten it. The spicy shepherds pie is lovely, guess what's for tea tomorrow lol!
Maggs, don't forget pastry making could be good arm and hand exercise, not sure what you have done, but I often recommend it to my patients who are keen cooks!!
Sue

Dek, that wartime recipe was for a pudding not a main course.

Thanks Trevor. I have just cooked one of those shake in the bag meals for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also did three lasagne's for the family. Jean.

I went onto the internet and have bought some of those bags to do my own recipes. Today I am cooking mustard pork with new potato's, carrots, mushrooms and peas and for Pete a chicken curry with peas, onions and mushrooms. I am adding prawns to the rice just before it is ready.

I had a busy day in the kitchen on Saturday. Steak & Ale pie, Apple Sponge, Coffee and walnut cake then a very large bread pudding. Yesterday was the usual roast. Today was idle.....Beef ping ping or leftovers from yesterday shoved in the microwave.

Heather it is normally my ping ping day today but I did Sunday roast on Saturday and ping ping yesterday.

I have been googling the Kentucky fried chicken recipe and it mentioned CRISCO [SHORTENING] CORN OIL]. Have any of you heard of it please as it says it is the healthiest form of frying and crispiest?. Jean.

Of course Alfie but I would like to hear if anyone has used this oil as I hadn't even heard of it. Can't beet first hand experience. Jean.

Back