• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Kitchen Today

.... thanks to the Germans accusing the Spanish (wrongly) of causing a deadly outbreak of food poisoning due to a highly virulent strain of bacteria found on imported cucumbers, their price has come down dramatically. Taking full advantage of this unfortunate situation, this was one of the side dishes accompanying our steak supper yesterday evening: sliced cucumber with yoghurt and a sprinkling of dill, salt and pepper to taste - but try adding extra pepper. Delicious. D.

June_2011_001.jpg

View attachment 68447

Last edited:
Well, I just hope this outbreak of e-coli, whoever is to blame, will bring more English food's into the supermarket's. Our local greengrocer is selling Newmarket cucumber's and they are delicious. We need more local product's in the shop's. I refuse to buy imported food as much as it's possible to do so.

That looks delicious David. I love cucumber but it does not like me!!. I cooked a piza yesterday although I don't eat much of it but took some round to the grandsons. This is it before and I added cooked sliced sausages half way through baking. Sorry I forgot to take one of the finished piza. I prefer it with a thin base though. Jean.

I agree John. Tried some at our sons last week. YUK. Have been cooking Chinese food for myself lately and have been pleasantly surprised with the results.

I am trying to think of a few pudding to do quick and easy from things I would usually have in the cupboard. I also would like to know if anyone has frozen a trifle? I thought of making a few individual ones and freezing them, with the cream on, I wondered what the custard would be like when thawed.

I froze a trifle years ago but it was a failure, as the milk separated. There is a milk (forget the name of it) that you can freeze, which I think would do Ok in a trifle. The rest of it was OK. I used to do a pudding where I used suet (the light variety) and make it like a dumpling only sweet, and bake it - that was nice, but a bit crispy on the outside. My children used to call them 'rocks' but they vanished quickly. Rarely do puds these days for health reasons (husband's more than mine) so we stick to low fat youghurt except on Sundays.

Patty it is something I have never done. I might chance the jelly and fruit then top it after it is thawed.

It's the custard as you said that may be the problem., I will do it with stera milk. I know you can freeze cream as long as it is whipped.

i loved this stuff. but it dont tast the same now

Attachments

• CREAMOLA1.jpg
    CREAMOLA1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 9
  • CREAMOLA2.jpg
    CREAMOLA2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 9
  • cremola pudding.jpg
    cremola pudding.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 10
Back