• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Nice pictures there, Wendy. As they say, every cloud has a silver lining! I think we are about to see the end of our very hot weather, but only have some rain forecast for Friday over the next week. But at least I may be able to get a few jobs done.

Maurice :cool:

wendylee

master brummie
Hi Maurice, good to hear from you, I will post a few more of plants in the next few weeks of leucospermum varieties that I have had in for years that have never flowered, they are full of buds this year, must be all the rain haha . I am looking forward to seeing them in flower too.
Do you enjoy it when the heat of Summer cools ? Hope you get your jobs done Maurice.

Wendy :)

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Wendy,

I have to admit there are not many things that you can do outdoors when we have the upper 30sC here - swim or go up in the mountains until the the sun goes down, and a drop of rain does freshen the place up a bit. Hence the need for workers to have a siesta from 3:00pm until 5:30pm. :)

wendylee

master brummie
Wendy,

I have to admit there are not many things that you can do outdoors when we have the upper 30sC here - swim or go up in the mountains until the the sun goes down, and a drop of rain does freshen the place up a bit. Hence the need for workers to have a siesta from 3:00pm until 5:30pm. :)

Siesta sound a great idea Maurice :grinning: and no I dont do jobs outdoors here when the temp exceeds 30's haha

:sun:

Richarddye

master brummie

Richarddye

master brummie
A small pear tree planted 3 years ago produced a fine crop of pears this summer. I plucked one off ready to take a bite and noticed something had already bitten small pieces out near the stalk. Was it a bird or an insect or what ?
View attachment 148639

Wondering whether there was anything inside the pear I decided to cut it into pieces and it ended up like this ...
View attachment 148640

It was perfect and delicious ... :grinning:
That is perfect :cool:

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Wendy,

wish i could find an excuse to have a siesta in the afternoon our Maurice.:grinning::grinning:1602292216805.png

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Well, Pete, as it was put to a friend of mine about 12 years ago, "If you can repeatedly carry big bags of cement for 30 yards in 35 degrees C, the job's yours!". Elf & safety, you gotta be joking. By the time mid-afternoon comes, you're half dead. :)

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
***** The system went to sleep and then posted it twice. Mods please remove. *****
doN
Well, Pete, as it was put to a friend of mine about 12 years ago, "If you can repeatedly carry big bags of cement for 30 yards in 35 degrees C, the job's yours!". Elf & safety, you gotta be joking. By the time mid-afternoon comes, you're half dead. :)

NO PROB .our MAURICE.
System went to sleep..... you were kipping again. lol

CHINCH

master brummie
In 1992 I bought a Monkey Puzzle Tree from Webb's at Droitwich. For nearly 30 years it looked lovely and grew taller than the house. Then, all of a sudden, last year it died. I am not sure what caused it as there are no close trees competing for water or nutrients. So, after looking sorry for itself over the winter, I finally cut it down. My chainsaw hadn't seen action for a few years and refused to start so I had to cut it down by hand. I had to tie my ladder to the tree as it was almost fully extended and waving around a bit in the breeze. My neighbours thought I was going to kill myself and looked on with horror on their faces. However, the task is done. Made a bit of mess - this pic was taken after I had removed most of the tree. A sad day.

View attachment 145596
This is sad to see but where did you get the wonderful stack of logs from? My woodburner is calling out for those!!
Am watching your progress with interest as we are doing something similar. It's looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.