• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

master brummie
whats it called frog hall.View attachment 148042
There is a Frog Hall near Hampton In Arden and Frog Lane. Our amphibian goes under the ivy or in piles of leaves. A good excuse for not sweeping them. I might leave the nasturtium pots out this winter they climb up the defunct garage doors. For the frogs. The massive garden toad stool is massiver. About 8 inches across and 8 high. No longer purple it is brown. My cousin has dug himself a pond I thought of the ones on here. I hate plastic grass that the neighbour indignantly said it's astroturf. I said plastic grass when I was a kid in greengrocers' windows. The child who's parents had a shop brought it to school for the nativity scene. I brought cotton wool snow! Next door's patio is a yard to us.

Nico

master brummie
I did read somewhere, perhaps on here, of adding Fuchsia fruits to salads.

I was sceptical until I read:-

Does she have a specific variety that she prefers? Pink Marshmallow perhaps.:)
French friend in France served us violets, on like a mousse made
with beetroot.

wendylee

master brummie
I love the frog parlour idea... I absolutely love frogs but sadly we havnt heard any for a very long time. We used to hear them a fair bit in our fernery in our pergola . It has been tipping down with rain since last night and no sign of it stopping, maybe we will hear some frogs, here's hoping.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
There is a Frog Hall near Hampton In Arden and Frog Lane. Our amphibian goes under the ivy or in piles of leaves. A good excuse for not sweeping them. I might leave the nasturtium pots out this winter they climb up the defunct garage doors. For the frogs. The massive garden toad stool is massiver. About 8 inches across and 8 high. No longer purple it is brown. My cousin has dug himself a pond I thought of the ones on here. I hate plastic grass that the neighbour indignantly said it's astroturf. I said plastic grass when I was a kid in greengrocers' windows. The child who's parents had a shop brought it to school for the nativity scene. I brought cotton wool snow! Next door's patio is a yard to us.
i loved growing nasturtium but had to stop as the dashound was alergic to them, they gave him terrable sneezes.

johnny082

master brummie
Hi Wendy, Friend of ours in Birmingham is also mad about frogs. He has them all over his house [ not real ones]. Even pillow cases with them on. We used to have them years ago until that disease killed them off. But this year wife found some in bottom part of garden we rent from railway. She brought about five little ones up to the pool but not seen sight of them yet

wendylee

master brummie
Hi Wendy, Friend of ours in Birmingham is also mad about frogs. He has them all over his house [ not real ones]. Even pillow cases with them on. We used to have them years ago until that disease killed them off. But this year wife found some in bottom part of garden we rent from railway. She brought about five little ones up to the pool but not seen sight of them yet
Aww thats cute, hope he sees them or at least hears them to know they are around.
We have beautiful green tree frogs in Australia , they are mainly up north though.
I also have many frogs around the house too :joy::joy: fabric ones that sit on shelves pottery ones, ceramic, hanging ones.....I wont go on haha.
Green tree Frog
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 8.10.34 pm.png

carolina

master brummie
Thanks for the suggestions, the hosta is aready surrounded by gravel, perhaps it's not rough enough, they also like the copper tape!! I like the garlic idea, I have got some in the kitchen, does it work with chives? They grow well on the other side of the garden, I could move a clump.
rosie.
I have gravel in pots and around the pots plus copper tape and still they get in.

Update on my pigeon nest .... the adults do not seem to mind being observed. I cannot believe that they built a nest right next to the window. Talk about grandstand view, I can see right inside the nest! I have just taken this photograph and, as you can see, a squab is looking at me with some puzzlement .....

View attachment 148105
A couple of weeks now and it is the birds who are watching me - the nosey parkers. Can't be long before they fledge.

Squabs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.