• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico

master brummie
If it is an old root it would take a bit of digging out. I really like the plant - spectacular in autumn and the falling leaves can be gathered up to make a nest/home for wildlife in the winter. However, it will try to creep anywhere and everywhere - I imagine that it tries to grow inside your garage!
Yes it does grow inside the garage. A friend in France has one which has come in the bedroom, strong enough for someone to climb I would think, and she has external shutters which she is unable to close now. A pigeon nests right under the window we stay in. I have grown clematis and a rose from cuttings so I will try with this.

Nico

master brummie
The other day my cat bought me a dead shrew. I had no idea these were in my neighbourhood. Anyone else get shrews in the garden?
I have seen shrews a few streets away when I was walking, pale grey, and black ones at my partner's mother's in France. In her garage under the house. They slipped through the gap in the up and over door just ignored me. A robin came in via the air brick and a wren nested between the shutter and the wall. She ignored us too.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I don't know what particular species our toads are, but, of course, there is very little water about in the summer and they burrow down into the roots of trees to get some safe shade. When some rain eventually arrives and when it's dusk they 're out hopping about on the crazy paving of the drive. The storm drain, which runs through the centre of the village, has a concrete base in just a couple of short places, so after some heavy rain it will retain a couple of inches of water and the toads will lay their eggs. In no time at all, these patches of shallow water are teeming with tadpoles and I love to watch them mature, hoping that the sun doesn't evaporate the water too early. But I've never known the toads to misjudge their timing.

Lovely little creatures, don't get too agitated if you pick them up for just a minute, and great for controlling the insect life. Long may they reign.

Maurice :cool:

Nico

master brummie
I picked up some mating frogs or toads the Yorkshire village pond was heaving when we were visiting. Some were enclasped round females and they were in the road. I am toad sorry told, toads are rough and frogs are smooth but I didn't hold them for long enough to tell. They were not slimy, this was a few years ago when I had a camera. The picture of me holding them or about to is too big to process on here.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.