• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.midlandspubs.co.uk,
I know you`re filthy rich mate, but that lot must have cost you a small fortune! You`ll have to open up your garden to the public (small charge ) & get some of that money back. :cool:
Nope, apart from the pond liner, most of the materials have come from reclamation yards or used stuff on e-bay. It makes it more fun and, besides, I couldn't afford it otherwise.

rosie

brummie
I love the frog-steps! I used to have frogs but next-door-cat killed the last one the day before they moved out!! A relative gave me a bucket of spawn from their pond but it didn't survive. I was told they go back to where they were hatched but mine came from my Mother's house where I was born. She died long ago but she loved frogs too.
rosie.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
I love the frog-steps! I used to have frogs but next-door-cat killed the last one the day before they moved out!! A relative gave me a bucket of spawn from their pond but it didn't survive. I was told they go back to where they were hatched but mine came from my Mother's house where I was born. She died long ago but she loved frogs too.
rosie.
this is why i cant encourage frogs rosie...i have 4 cats

lyn

Nico

master brummie
Sounds like rather more than you want, Nico, but there are these on Amazon:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premium-Dr...8ZXSB89V3AF&psc=1&refRID=E799BT3C28ZXSB89V3AF

Maurice :cool:
I am one of the dwindling purple breasted 7 toes on the left ear invisible forest people who doesn't do mail order, apart from my special needs shoes which I don't order anymore because they foresook comfort for fashion....but thank you Maurice. Loadsaworms! Friend told me to soak them so I did. Took me back to childhood fetching them for grandad from Britain's sports shop in his maggott tin. I loved letting them run through my fingers. He put sugar on them before he went fishing and they wriggled. "ave you washed your ands?" Yes Nan, I think I did? and I bit my nails.
I did pay a lot for some fat cake with worms in which they love and I shave it off like parmesan so it is econoimcal. Started to get a coal tit and today, he keeps pulling out all the sunflower seeds from the feeder and finally takes one. So I clean them up every night. Opened the garage door, out flew the wren. I don't think she eats the mealworms. Must be something good in there. Robin feeding 3 babies today so they must have a bigger brood. I have never seen them so polite as this year between the species. No squabbling. We had a great spotted woodpecker yesterday feeding a chick. First in 28 years. The great tits are showing interest again at the box. It seemed to notice that something had tried to get in or it was looking in. I don't think anything was left there are no flies. Went to 3 garden centres today all with big queues, so I didn't bother, one said no geraniums or petunias which is what we wanted. Also I am not queueing in a poly tunnel I would die! Had same experience at a butterfly farm. I stopped off at what used to be Fruity Fruits a small fruit shop chain here. Or Joe Richards. Got 4 for £12 They also sell preserves, loose bicuits and tins and chocolate.All cheap. And plants.

rosie.
I heard that too but I had to start off with some spawn from a friend's garden. They move into my neighbour's gardens but come back at sexy frog time. I love my birds and frogs so my garden is defended against cats - prickly plants at edges and some fence toppers that are uncomfortable for their feet - the odd cat comes by but generally they avoid my place and use the other gardens.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
love the re claimed garden chairs keiron..easy enough to do up....the hand plough i want it lol....my first thoughts with that would be to make a couple of wooden plant boxes to drop in ..lick of paint and plant it out...bobs yer uncle job done...

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
which reminds me keiron i have to re sand the top of my james yates pub table and re paint it far as we know they were taken over by gaskill and chambers in 1902 this is an old thread but you may like to see the table once i had tarted it up a bit

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Well Midpubs the plough is very interesting. I had spent quite of few hours fishing and drinking in Pershore, but always associated it with fruit and as a market town.

I reckon that Fisher, Humphries and Co came into existence around 1920, formerly being Messrs Humphries and Co (various titles), dating from at least 1850 and being a world wide distributor of agricultural machinery.

Came across this....“A restored Edward Humphries portable engine was displayed at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2017. See photos. The construction date is given as 1850. It was supplied new to the Collins family of Inkberrow, and worked until 1915. It was bought by Mr A. Sparkes in 1993, who restored it. The old boiler was beyond repair, and was replaced by a new one made by Mendip Steam Restoration in 1995. The original boiler was displayed alongside the new engine in 2017.”

A picture can be seen of the engine on the Grace Guide site, and for anyone interested in steam engines a half hour Video of the 2017 fair...

Grace’s Guide with picture...

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Well Midpubs the plough is very interesting. I had spent quite of few hours fishing and drinking in Pershore, but always associated it with fruit and as a market town.

I reckon that Fisher, Humphries and Co came into existence around 1920, formerly being Messrs Humphries and Co (various titles), dating from at least 1850 and being a world wide distributor of agricultural machinery.

Came across this....“A restored Edward Humphries portable engine was displayed at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2017. See photos. The construction date is given as 1850. It was supplied new to the Collins family of Inkberrow, and worked until 1915. It was bought by Mr A. Sparkes in 1993, who restored it. The old boiler was beyond repair, and was replaced by a new one made by Mendip Steam Restoration in 1995. The original boiler was displayed alongside the new engine in 2017.”

A picture can be seen of the engine on the Grace Guide site, and for anyone interested in steam engines a half hour Video of the 2017 fair...

Grace’s Guide with picture...

nice:grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.