• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventured to the local garden centre today - they have been stripped of stock. And as for compost, apparently it is trading on the stock exchange at levels higher than gold.
I bought their last yellow Dahlia and a half-barrel in which to place it. This is perhaps one business which is making up for lost trade in the earlier stages of the lockdown. They are nice people so glad to see their till going ching-ching.

MWS

master brummie
People don't like to save their money, so if they can't go on holiday it'll be house, garden or car.

devonjim

master brummie
At the beginning of the month some guy on the radio said to help bees not to cut the lawn for the month of May. Any excuse to get out of a chore! Yesterday sat and listened to the bees and watched them enjoy my crop of daisies and buttercups. IMG_3208.JPG

JudiM

master brummie
Ventured to the local garden centre today - they have been stripped of stock. And as for compost, apparently it is trading on the stock exchange at levels higher than gold.
I bought their last yellow Dahlia and a half-barrel in which to place it. This is perhaps one business which is making up for lost trade in the earlier stages of the lockdown. They are nice people so glad to see their till going ching-ching.
I bought 4 bags of compost online from Wickes & it was about a month for delivery! So yes, compost, toilet roll & plain flour seem to be the new gold measure

Thankfully, there is a little independent shop near me that sells all sorts of lovely plants as well as being a greengrocer. I bought some saxifrage from there last week & some dianthus today. Trying to build up a stock of slug resistant flowering plants as I have a lot of shrubs & not many flowers.

JudiM

master brummie
Does anyone know if mock orange can be propagated from cuttings? If so when is the best time to do it?

I have a huge one in my garden that needs cutting back drastically as it got too big & is taking up a lot of space. Pretty sure it will come back OK, but if I can get cuttings as an insurance policy that would be great.

Smudger

master brummie
I bought 4 bags of compost online from Wickes & it was about a month for delivery! So yes, compost, toilet roll & plain flour seem to be the new gold measure

Thankfully, there is a little independent shop near me that sells all sorts of lovely plants as well as being a greengrocer. I bought some saxifrage from there last week & some dianthus today. Trying to build up a stock of slug resistant flowering plants as I have a lot of shrubs & not many flowers.
I have lots of Dianthus (pinks) in my garden. They have a lovely scent & are as tough as old boots. I have Great Tit chicks chirping noisily away in the nest box, but there seems to be just one parent feeding them. I`m not sure if that`s normal but there are lots of one parent families around these days.:(

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
At the beginning of the month some guy on the radio said to help bees not to cut the lawn for the month of May. Any excuse to get out of a chore! Yesterday sat and listened to the bees and watched them enjoy my crop of daisies and buttercups. View attachment 145223
When i cut the grass I leave a big piece of land with dandelions buttercups and daisies for the bees. they live under the shed. their entrance is through a brick.so i dont move it.

Attachments

Smudger

master brummie
Does anyone know if mock orange can be propagated from cuttings? If so when is the best time to do it?

I have a huge one in my garden that needs cutting back drastically as it got too big & is taking up a lot of space. Pretty sure it will come back OK, but if I can get cuttings as an insurance policy that would be great.
I think you need to speak to our resident gardening expert, Edifi.

Nico

master brummie
I actually propogated a rose I broke by accident. It is better than it's parent. I have done honeysuckle successfully and clematis, but only 3 out of 12 survived, then only one. My gran had green fingers, well half fingers, she lost several. She would just rip something out snap something off and it would grow. Like gypsophilia or anything if no one was looking or even if they were. My aunty Mary was the same. We visited once and she took us up to smell the camomile lawn then she shoved this heavy bucket in to my belly, which almost bent me over. She was a small woman too. It was full of penstemans which we still have even though she is gone. She would propogate astrumerias and more what I call exotics. Just shove em in! She said

Last edited:

Nico

master brummie
I reminisce a lot, always have. I have been thinking about peoples' gardens that I know. How beautiful they are. And different. Which one it the best etc. And then I thought about when I was growing up, a neighbour said we had the worst garden in the street, which was like water off a duck's back to us. And I had a very happy childhood and was blissfully happy in our 'terrible' garden.The dog cats and rabbits liked it. As did the wildlife and we had loads of grasshoppers bees butterflies and assorted caterpillars. Dad taught me the names of the butterflies. We had a low tin picnic table doubling as a tray and deck chairs and picnic chairs on the crazy paving full of weeds. Sunday tea outside. Milk and biscuits in the long grass with the local children, playing jungles. Anyway out of the 15 gardens since lockdown, we came 6th. !

Last edited:

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
I reminisce a lot, always have. I have been thinking about peoples' gardens that I know. How beautiful they are. And different. Which one it the best etc. And then I thought about when I was growing up, a neighbour said we had the worst garden in the street, which was like water off a duck's back to us. And I had a very happy childhood and was blissfully happy in our 'terrible' garden.The dog cats and rabbits liked it. As did the wildlife and we had loads of grasshoppers bees butterflies and assorted caterpillars. Dad taught me the names of the butterflies. We had a low tin picnic table doubling as a tray and deck chairs and picnic chairs on the crazy paving full of weeds. Sunday tea outside. Milk and biscuits in the long grass with the local children, playing jungles. Anyway out of the 15 gardens since lockdown, we came 6th. !
eco gardens are the best nico:grinning:

Still no further water added as I am still placing my rocks on the upper shelf of the pond, along with the fact that I am awaiting a delivery of Scottish Pebbles. In the meantime, I cracked on with my terracing for which I acquired 500 rocks on good old e-bay with delivery included. They did need jet-washing - that took four hours on Friday. All have to be carried to the back of the garden. Bought a few plants from Shirley Aquatics using their click-and-collect service. I have some more in buckets awaiting planting in baskets. Anyway, things are starting to take shape ...

Terracing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.