• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden Jan - Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was intrigued by the bird feeder Dave has [see Post 762]. I like the squirrel but he trashes my bird feeders so I had a look for one of these cages. Amazon had some but have sold out. However, I did find one at C&J Wildlife and it is the Rolls Royce of bird-feeders, though £35 a pop.

Bird Feeder.jpg

I have taken it apart and re-assembled as per their video and I am impressed with the build. Good to be able to clean so the birds don't pick up some disease.

See : https://www.birdfood.co.uk/athena-seed-feeder-guardian-pack

They have lots of different bird feeders.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Just a comment about PONDS; several years ago I had a pond (now filled in due to arrival of grandchildren!) with vertical edges and one morning was dismayed to find 4 baby hedgehogs had drowned in it. I contacted Tiggywinkles who informed me that hedgehogs could swim well but couldn't climb and advised me to install a ramp to prevent this happening again. My cousin's pond had a gentle slope along one edge which got round the problem.

JudiM

master brummie
A cat and a magpie having a stand-off this morning! The bird was doing its best to annoy the cat but he/she just sat there taking no notice! Eventually cat walked off past the magpie in an act of defiance!
View attachment 145087
(Sorry image is a bit fuzzy - telephoto without tripod!)
Not in the garden, but my cat was enraptured with this one - although if he met one that big in real life he'd have run a mile!

Attachments

Nico

master brummie
I was going to stain Barmy's fence our side, but then I thought, what's the point of staining rotten wood. Against my partner's wishes and my common sense, I should have listened, I went to Wilko dodge the mrons store today, I have only been out food shopping so far. They had a medium can of Cuprinol £25, I thought no way. Not for putrified wood.

I had a pond with vertical edges and one morning was dismayed to find 4 baby hedgehogs had drowned in it. I contacted Tiggywinkles who informed me that hedgehogs could swim well but couldn't climb and advised me to install a ramp to prevent this happening again. My cousin's pond had a gentle slope along one edge which got round the problem.
Good point - vertical edges must have been an exciting dive for the poor things. If I had four hoglets I'd be overjoyed. I have an 86 year-old hedgerow and I have never seen a hedgehog in the garden. I have a hog-house and leave out food and water by the entrance but no positive sightings. As for the pond, I have a route planned so that the frogs can get out easily, particularly the froglets who can get stuck on hot pebbles or rocks and then dehydrate. If only they knew how much I cared for them!

I posted a picture with the Mahonia in flower last Christmas time. I noticed the berries and wondered if they may be poisonous. But no...
Mmmm, I might have to plant one of these.

This got me thinking .... I know it cannot happen this year but forum members could prepare for next year's social gathering. Members could take cuttings of their plants enjoyed on this thread, pot them up, and do some swaps. Plants can be so expensive and a bit hit-and-miss with soil and light conditions so if it was free then, what the heck, it won't hurt so much if it fails.

Nico

master brummie
Nico,A litre ofPetrol is a lot cheaper:laughing::laughing: Or even a Gallon.
Others have mentioned similar. A good storm maybe. It doesn't go right to the end so I can battle the holly and peep round. Whilst doing this the end panel came away so I have shoved it back. We thought he had finished he has stained or treated his side. One gap underneath is so dee I can see his shins. He can't see me though.The birds are enjoying it all his rotten wood moved around, from A to B and B to A, most days. We are tilling the soil heaps he has left. I keep thinking poppies. I hope he has not displaced any wildlife like foxes and hedgehogs, rats we don't mind.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Mmmm, I might have to plant one of these.

This got me thinking .... I know it cannot happen this year but forum members could prepare for next year's social gathering. Members could take cuttings of their plants enjoyed on this thread, pot them up, and do some swaps. Plants can be so expensive and a bit hit-and-miss with soil and light conditions so if it was free then, what the heck, it won't hurt so much if it fails.
great idea kieron...glad i thought of that :D :D

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.