• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they're picked now what? :(
Think they are better cooked as I believe they can be a bit sharp raw although might be OK with sugar.
So add to cupcakes instead of blueberries, mix with apples in a pie or crumble. Depends how many you have.
A bit off thread but redcurrants are from the garden :D

Last edited:
Think they are better cooked as I believe they can be a bit sharp raw although might be OK with sugar.
So add to cupcakes instead of blueberries, mix with apples in a pie or crumble. Depends how many you have.
A bit off thread but redcurrants are from the garden :D
:yum
:yum

na fresh hot blackberry and apple pie,made from the B&A from ones own garden,with lashings of cream and icecream on top.
:yum:yum:yum:yum:yum:grinning:
I am not one for any sweet that does not have a sour bite to it. I used to take my children many years ago over to Astley Burf to pick the wild blackberries for my sister in law to make blackberry and Bramley apple jam.

Firstly I'm not a 'gardener' but last year saw someone plant some tomato seeds outdoors and get a very nice crop of tomatoes. So I've tried it with some seeds named 'Gardener's Delight'. Started them in small pots indoors then transplanted them outdoors in 15" pots filled with 'growbag' contents. They grew quickly and small bunches of yellow flowers appeared as in pics. The petals eventually started to wither and I expected to see small green tomatoes growing but there is nothing. I'm giving them tomato fertiliser as per instuctions ... any ideas about what's gone wrong?
IMG_1330 (Large).jpgIMG_1333 (Large).jpgIMG_1334 (Large).jpg

I know my grandad used to pinch out the side shoots and leave fewer flowers to get bigger better tomatoes. He would be left with one main stem where the tomatoes grew. He staked this to support the weight of the fruit.

You do
They grew quickly and small bunches of yellow flowers appeared as in pics. The petals eventually started to wither and I expected to see small green tomatoes growing but there is nothing. I'm giving them tomato fertiliser as per instructions ... any ideas about what's gone wrong?

not sure but you most definitely do not add fertiliser until tomatoes actually begin to appear

I grew tomatoes for many years and had various success/failure. Gardeners Delight are quite hardy but we preferred the cherry tomatoes. However over the last two years I had the same problem of plenty of flowers but n fruit. There can be a variety of reasons for that. Plenty of tips if you google it. Nothing like home grown produce though

The petals eventually started to wither and I expected to see small green tomatoes growing but there is nothing. I'm giving them tomato fertiliser as per instuctions

Possibly 'blossom drop' which is often caused by temperature out of range, usually over.

not sure but you most definitely do not add fertiliser until tomatoes actually begin to appear
Yes. Tomatoes can suffer from excess nitrogen, which promotes vegetation growth rather than tomatoes.

I know my grandad used to pinch out the side shoots and leave fewer flowers to get bigger better tomatoes. He would be left with one main stem where the tomatoes grew. He staked this to support the weight of the fruit.
The best thing to do for quality over quantity. Concentrates the growing energy.

Nothing like home grown produce though
The smell in a tomato greenhouse is wonderful, (to me). Tomatoes taking the shortest route from stem to mouth is my ideal.

Andrew.

Firstly I'm not a 'gardener' but last year saw someone plant some tomato seeds outdoors and get a very nice crop of tomatoes. So I've tried it with some seeds named 'Gardener's Delight'. Started them in small pots indoors then transplanted them outdoors in 15" pots filled with 'growbag' contents. They grew quickly and small bunches of yellow flowers appeared as in pics. The petals eventually started to wither and I expected to see small green tomatoes growing but there is nothing. I'm giving them tomato fertiliser as per instuctions ... any ideas about what's gone wrong?
View attachment 171456View attachment 171457View attachment 171458
Like Izzie said, don`t use fertilizer till toms appear & plenty of water.

I did wonder about about whether there are too many flowers. The tomatoes I saw growing last year were along a branch whereas the flowers on my tomato plants are in bunches. Even 'on-the-vine' tomatoes sold in supermarkets don't appear as bunches.

I Googled this morning and it said put some tomato fertiliser on when the flowers have been on for some time ... so I did!

I put plenty of water on as the 15" clay pots are well drained.

Google also said this morning ... 'use an electric toothbrush' to vibrate the petals to pollinate them ....:rolleyes:

I did wonder about about whether there are too many flowers. The tomatoes I saw growing last year were along a branch whereas the flowers on my tomato plants are in bunches. Even 'on-the-vine' tomatoes sold in supermarkets don't appear as bunches.

I Googled this morning and it said put some tomato fertiliser on when the flowers have been on for some time ... so I did!

I put plenty of water on as the 15" clay pots are well drained.

Google also said this morning ... 'use an electric toothbrush' to vibrate the petals to pollinate them ....:rolleyes:
I just use a children’s paint brush to spread the pollen. It’s not an Art anyone can do it.

Not really familiar with pigeons but are they not they quite gamey? I like rabbit although have not had any in a long time, are they similar?
Wild rabbit, love it. I used to know a young lad on Holte Heath far side of Holte Fleet. He went out with his ferrets early Saturday mornings. I would phone him about 12.30, he would say you can have four 50 pence each. I used to fetch them and gut them in Stourport telephone exchange. Getting paid time and half into the bargain.

Wild rabbit, love it. I used to know a young lad on Holte Heath far side of Holte Fleet. He went out with his ferrets early Saturday mornings. I would phone him about 12.30, he would say you can have four 50 pence each. I used to fetch them and gut them in Stourport telephone exchange. Getting paid time and half into the bargain.
I remember going with my older cousin and his ferrets, putting nets over the holes and standing there with a cricket bat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back