• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am witnessing the most amazing rainbow out back...the colours are so vivid...my son has taken some photos will get them on later or tomorrow but i suspect they wont do justice..just starting to fade now after at least 15 mins

lyn

Got a pear a plum and a cherry and in its fifth year an olive, I'm told the olive only fruits after 7 to 12 years.
Still eating last years home made plum jam, never get the cherries the birds get there first, nice pears though.
My neighbour has two apple trees that produce a lot of fruit but it never gets picked always rots on the ground, even the next door kids can't be bothered to scrump it.

Got a pear a plum and a cherry and in its fifth year an olive, I'm told the olive only fruits after 7 to 12 years.
Still eating last years home made plum jam, never get the cherries the birds get there first, nice pears though.
My neighbour has two apple trees that produce a lot of fruit but it never gets picked always rots on the ground, even the next door kids can't be bothered to scrump it.
Plum jam is wonderful!

i think the fun in scrumping was the chase by the owner,not so much getting the fruit:grinning:
Reminds me of scrumping in the 1950's in Weoley Castle, by the bowling green there was a garden with a very high hedge and an Apple tree full of fruit but out of reach. Non of the kids could get at it so it was left alone. I had an idea so I got a long bean cane and fitted a wire ring with a razor blade in front, next one of Mums old stockings was fitted to the wire.

We stood in front of the hedge and I lifted up the pole, passed the wire loop up round an Apple and pulled. it dropped neatly into the stocking and I pulled several more and heaved them back over the hedge and we all ran off. We got away with that several times but the owner must have laid in wait as the pole was snatched out of my hand and an angry red face glared over the hedge!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back