• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a grub shortage or something had them? Saw parents feeding 2 baby starlings today. Am getting what I think is the cock robin of the newer established pair tamer, as the starlings nab all the food but they are afraid of me so the robin comes if I stand guard. The pair who lost their chicks to the cat the cock especially was very tame. He had me as the bodyguard off to a tee.

Nice! Here in BC Canada, Bird Flu popped up a few weeks ago, so our bird feeders have been emptied, washed and stored to reduce the spread to poultry.

Bears, skunks and rodents love the feed too, so cleanliness is a must!

I do like your globe feeder. We have squirrel resistant feeders, but some of the larger bird species can still empty the feeders rapidly. Your feeder would take care of that problem!

A neighbour recently placed a nesting box by his back garden gate. Suprisingly to me, as the box faces south, birds have moved in.

This morning some crows were causing a commotion and I looked out of my window to see a siamese-like cat on the gate lintel above the box. The crows chased off the cat and all went quiet, no cat no crows.

The next minute a Great Spotted Woodpecker moved in and took advantage of the 'peg' sticking out of the box, (which the nesting birds don't use), and after nosing about feteched out a chick and flew off.

Some lessons to be learned about constructing and mounting nesting boxes I think!
nestbox.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back