• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slug pellets have been used by gardeners for many years & if it`s true that they are dangerous then it`s too late for us gardeners, we`re doomed, infamy infamy they`ve all got it in for me.! Sorry, i haven`t had my medication today.

I have just read (and checked with other newspapers to see if I am being taken in by april 1st joke) that slug pellets are banned from use in UK gardens from today.
Is it true, I have some pellets but usually drown slugs in a beer trap.
It seems to be in too many papers to be an April 1st trick.
Here is one article

At first I thought it was an april fool, but below are two earlier references to the banning on them, one of them a government publication

The second link states that they are to be phased out by March 31st 2022,

Can’t resist the site called “Grow like grandad”

This is one of my favourite shrubs, Coronilla Citrina. Currently it’s flowering profusely, despite the ferocious winds and snow/sleet of the last few days. The leaves are a nice blue, grey colour. It’s a become a bit battered after the extreme weather, and has come away from its fixings, but it’s still going strong. I love the perfume it gives off. It also flowers more than once a year. Don’t know if it’s supposed to. It’s in a relatively sheltered spot, so maybe it likes it there. Viv.

DB10B52C-1CBB-4994-9DA1-92BC1C0FF439.jpeg

This is one of my favourite shrubs, Coronilla Citrina. Currently it’s flowering profusely, despite the ferocious winds and snow/sleet of the last few days. The leaves are a nice blue, grey colour. It’s a become a bit battered after the extreme weather, and has come away from its fixings, but it’s still going strong. I love the perfume it gives off. It also flowers more than once a year. Don’t know if it’s supposed to. It’s in a relatively sheltered spot, so maybe it likes it there. Viv.

View attachment 168752
Whar does it smell like

A strong peachy smell with hints of my mums Max Factor face powder ! It’s a very heavy scent, wafts all over the garden, loved by bees of course. Seems to need very little attention, except trim it back as it can get top heavy. Loaded with flowers, which before they open remind me of sweet peas. You can see a cluster of unopened flowers just below the open flowers in this picture. I like the leaves too. Sometimes use it in flower arrangements. Viv.

DD4D26D3-D74B-487A-A0FD-8CE2B0CC2F5D.jpeg

forsythia.jpeg
This Forsythia is here to hide my shed and trailer from the house. The left hand bush is a slightly different colour to the others, and comes into bloom a bit later than the others. During the winter, we have a couple of bird feeders in front of these, and the traffic between them and the bushes is continuous during the day. Even without the blossom, having a small exposure during flight reduces the threat of the sparrow hawk.

During the winter -- Ha. Woke up to this today.
snow april 2022.jpeg

Andrew.

View attachment 168769
This Forsythia is here to hide my shed and trailer from the house. The left hand bush is a slightly different colour to the others, and comes into bloom a bit later than the others. During the winter, we have a couple of bird feeders in front of these, and the traffic between them and the bushes is continuous during the day. Even without the blossom, having a small exposure during flight reduces the threat of the sparrow hawk.

During the winter -- Ha. Woke up to this today.
View attachment 168770

Andrew.
I looked at the picture before the explanation and thought there was a locomotive passing along the bottom of the garden.

What I meant about wlld flowers the yellow ones I am not sure. All these come up where they like they just appear. And spot the birdie.I entered the garage through the side door, the double doors are broken anyway, he followed me in and went straight to his nest, then flew out to watch me, perched on the washing line I have of old paint rags, then up on to the ladder. They normally enter under the roof gap. I can't hear the babies yet but he might have been feeding his mate, they feed each other outside. There is another a pair who live at the front but the ones in the garage fight them off as the feeder is in the back. They have to get in fast. What I have noticed is they are less aggressive to other bird species than usual apart from the dunnocks, who don't give in. After all, food is food.

Attachments

• Primrose.png
    Primrose.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Bluebells.png
    Bluebells.png
    466 KB · Views: 12
  • black Horehound.png
    black Horehound.png
    473.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220405_174223_001.jpg
    20220405_174223_001.jpg