• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
well folks i have decided to start growing my own veg :) well at least have a bash at it...i hope to turn the right hand border of my garden which is about 6 fence panels long and abut 4 feet wide into a veg patch..due to 2 dodgy knees with help it has already been turned over ready for spring planting...before long a few bags of compost will be dug in...so wish me luck

lyn

well folks i have decided to start growing my own veg :) well at least have a bash at it...i hope to turn the right hand border of my garden which is about 6 fence panels long and abut 4 feet wide into a veg patch..due to 2 dodgy knees with help it has already been turned over ready for spring planting...before long a few bags of compost will be dug in...so wish me luck

lyn
i did as you might remember in 2020 when we was in lockdown, it was good exercise. and the veg were very nice and fresh, the onions were huge things like footballs:grinning:,.........do you want about 20 tons of manure to dig in there lyn:grinning:

There were lots of Rabbits in the fields by my hovel and some in the top garden but this last two weeks they have disapeared, prob the hemorrhagic disease, or RHDV2, poor things
1661989679010.png

lyn
Best of luck. Try Oregon Sweet Pods if you like Mangetout. Blue Lake French beans like Runner beans easy to grow just start them in doors ready to be planted out on the first of June. If you get the grandchildren involved you will probably find they will eat more vegetables as they have grown them.

Last edited:
Been a great year in the garden, I'm made a five year supply of tom chutney, got about 8kg of cherry toms (Veranda Red) in the freezer to pop in to sauces/stews/curry, pickled cherry toms and more toms to come...yes its been a great year for the red balls of versatility.

Tried peat free compost this year, tried some 'neat' and some I added stuff to. The 'neat' peat free was crap, water the pot and the water runs straight out, very little retention. The brand I used was Westland so perhaps other brands retain better.

Also used 'halos' planted on top of grow bags for toms and cucs and they made a noticeable difference so I'll be using more next year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tierra-Gar...locphy=9045381&hvtargid=pla-390968804147&th=1

I'm really a newbie at growing veg, to be honest I just stuck with bedding plants to make the garden pretty but now hooked on growing food now. I made mistakes these last three years but I've learnt a lot and am looking forward to next year...planning a 'new' garden already ;)

We are awaiting the arrival of nematodes to deal with weevils that are devouring some of our shrubs at the moment. Have not used them before so it will be interesting to see if they are effective.
We have used them to deal with cockchafers, and they worked fine. Basically mix with water and water into the ground as required. Do check the packet for recommended usage times, as in which months of the year they are effective. Ours were supplied to deal with a specific range of nasties, other nasties required different nematodes. The nematodes are living organisms that wake up when you water them in, and expect to find the nasties at the right point in their lifecycle when they are at their tastiest. Otherwise they die of hunger and you have watered cash into the ground. Good luck, plant eating weevils can spoil the fun of gardening.
Andrew.

not nice every morning i find black/white mess in my garden on the lawn,i have to do a walk around before my dog sees it grrrrr; so what is leaving it any idears? please

Two weeks before we see October, and the garden is holding up quite well

No doubt, we will get a cold night soon, and it will be all over until next year.

Steve.
Yes things holding up well, picked two carrier bags full of runner beans this morning. Managed to dump them on the neighbours. Kept enough for dinner tomorrow. Cut some Offenham two cabbage much to the delight of the girls in the Card Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back