• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
pidgeon is a wonderful meat – deep, gamey and tender (when treated properly) and it has been eaten for centuries across many cultures. Aside from the flavour, pigeon have always been an attractive prospect due to being a quick, easy-to-find source of protein – the eating of pigeon was especially ubiquitous in the wartime years when meat was strictly rationed, there are lots of pidgeons, and rabbits here digging holes in the garden grrrrr. and some pheasents too.i leave them alone.its nice to see them.

Last edited:
Possibly 'blossom drop' which is often caused by temperature out of range, usually over.

Yes. Tomatoes can suffer from excess nitrogen, which promotes vegetation growth rather than tomatoes.

The best thing to do for quality over quantity. Concentrates the growing energy.

The smell in a tomato greenhouse is wonderful, (to me). Tomatoes taking the shortest route from stem to mouth is my ideal.

Andrew.
My father had to get Planning permission for his greenhouse. I was a tomato lover by the time I was 6/7. My father used to say you have to put the flavour into tomatoes, I do know he used a lot of fish blood. Myself I prefer them orange and firm I probably would eat a pound whilst being sent into the greenhouse to pick some. Nowadays I slice them on a plate at least half an hour before I am going to eat them then sprinkle them with sea salt.

My father had to get Planning permission for his greenhouse. I was a tomato lover by the time I was 6/7. My father used to say you have to put the flavour into tomatoes, I do know he used a lot of fish blood. Myself I prefer them orange and firm I probably would eat a pound whilst being sent into the greenhouse to pick some. Nowadays I slice them on a plate at least half an hour before I am going to eat them then sprinkle them with sea salt.
I add a little multicolored fresh cracked pepper with Himalayan salt!

When in the garden, watering, yesterday evening, I thought that the Phormium flower spike looked taller than it had the day before. I have just been out and measured it again, to find that it has put on 2" of new growth in a day. :eek:

No real sign of the flower opening as yet.

Steve.

Be careful with it, though. Mine threw out its spike a few weeks ago - the first time I can remember, in about eight years - got up to around seven feet and was just starting to open, and then, overnight, snapped off, for no apparent reason. Remarkably brittle stem - woody in texture. The head is now in a bucket of water in the vain hope that the buds might continue to open for a day or two.

Life is full of disappointments!

Chris

Be careful with it, though. Mine threw out its spike a few weeks ago - the first time I can remember, in about eight years - got up to around seven feet and was just starting to open, and then, overnight, snapped off, for no apparent reason. Remarkably brittle stem - woody in texture. The head is now in a bucket of water in the vain hope that the buds might continue to open for a day or two.

Life is full of disappointments!

Chris

Yes, I am a wee bit concerned about that. We are only a couple of hundred yards from the sea, and strong northerlies are a problem.

This was a 50mph NNW last year, taken 50 yards from our garden.

Regards,

Steve.

1657388250999.jpeg
1657388335897.jpeg
Both of these are on the side of our house that does not see much sun in the spring. Our spring in TN was 15f below normal and not too sunny, then the weather change and they are both late bloomers! Our other hydrangeas flowered about 2 months ago. Needless to say, we are thrilled with these extra flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back