• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tree frog. Not sure where it lives here on our patch, (possibly in a tree), but it sometimes comes out to see what we are up to.

frog1.jpeg

The hawfinch is not aggressive to other birds, it just uses size to take over the feeder. Not as regular as the other birds, which is just as well bearing in mind how much it consumes in one sitting. Harder to photograph because it has very good eyesight and a bit more jumpy. The tits and other finches would probably perch on the lens.

hawfinch1.jpeghawfinch2.jpeg

(Yes, I have cleaned the window since the pics).

Andrew.

This is a tree frog. Not sure where it lives here on our patch, (possibly in a tree), but it sometimes comes out to see what we are up to.

View attachment 167088

The hawfinch is not aggressive to other birds, it just uses size to take over the feeder. Not as regular as the other birds, which is just as well bearing in mind how much it consumes in one sitting. Harder to photograph because it has very good eyesight and a bit more jumpy. The tits and other finches would probably perch on the lens.

View attachment 167091View attachment 167092

(Yes, I have cleaned the window since the pics).

Andrew.
Great pics. Never seen a Hawfinch. Whereabouts in the country are you based?

Great pics. Never seen a Hawfinch. Whereabouts in the country are you based?
Thanks. I am now in the Lot, south west France. (Only a little bit cheating, I started off in Digbeth). The hawfinch can be seen in the Midlands, but not much further north. We only see it about once a week, or even longer. It is a shy bird despite the size, and will not stay in the garden if we are outside, whereas the regular birds will just move over a bit while my wife tops up the feeders, and squawk at her if she takes too long.
We have the right environment, but only see it when it comes to us, we would surely be disappointed if we went looking for it.
Andrew.

Hungry sparrow hawk today. Whoosh past the window about 2 metres away, leapt up for a look to see it climbing out to about 200 m away. Didn’t see any bird in its grip. Round over a local field to line up again. Starts descent and afterburners on. Whoosh again, but no luck. Saw it again later perched on the roof of my shed. Seen it a few times now, I think it is becoming resident because of the feeders here. I suppose it is a bird just like the tits and finches, and needs its food.
Andrew.

Hungry sparrow hawk today. Whoosh past the window about 2 metres away, leapt up for a look to see it climbing out to about 200 m away. Didn’t see any bird in its grip. Round over a local field to line up again. Starts descent and afterburners on. Whoosh again, but no luck. Saw it again later perched on the roof of my shed. Seen it a few times now, I think it is becoming resident because of the feeders here. I suppose it is a bird just like the tits and finches, and needs its food.
Andrew.
Beautiful birds

My wife went out this morning to top up the bird feeders, the sparrow hawk parked in a tree on the edge of the field stuck its tongue out at her and flew off. We used to have a goshawk do the rounds here, but despite being a bigger bird than the sparrow hawk it seems to have ceded the territory and we haven't seen it for a while.

Down by my shed
sphawk1.jpegsphawk2.jpeg

We have a resident kestrel that spends a lot of time on a wire at the edge of the field surveying for small rodents. That is not a threat to the garden birds though.

We just had about 5 red kites circling the house quite low, (good job they are not vultures). My wife reckons they are migrating up from the south, but is hopeful that some may be thinking of nesting close by.

Now the ** mole in front of our window is another story. It has 5000 sq m to live in, and it chooses just there.

Andrew.

Last year box tree moths/caterpillars decided to descend on my garden and help themselves to my box hedging. Consequently this is the result. Gutted. It’s taken me 5 years to get the plants to this stage. So I’ve bought 2 box tree moth traps, you know the ones with pheromones. Anyone used these ? I’m sceptical, but worth a try. Otherwise I think the hedging will have to come out. Pity, as I can see new shoots starting. Any other tips welcome too as I’m a believer of attacking on all fronts. Viv.

Attachments

• 914A0F01-3539-4FBA-A1D5-4BB8C76DD1B7.jpeg
    914A0F01-3539-4FBA-A1D5-4BB8C76DD1B7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back