• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is also a sweet pea society. https://www.sweetpeas.org.uk/hints-on-growing/growing-sweet-peas/. I've followed this in the past. Suttons and Thompson & Morgan have advice too. https://www.sweetpeas.org.uk/hints-on-growing/growing-sweet-peas/
Sometimes, it's the weather. I found a heated propagator was a real break-through. Some nick the seeds others never do. Talk to older gardeners in your area and visit flower shows to ask the sweet pea experts there. Once you have them in flower, keep cutting them. Don't let them set seed, unless you want to save it. The plant will stop flowering.
I bought 2 plantslast year and didnt get one flower on them, but this year its happening. :)

I had a letter from Severn Trent Water offering water saving advice, on the enclosed note they offered some freebies so I ticked the box and the stuff arrived a few days later
A pack of Sunflower seeds, a pack of wildflower seeds, two brown disks about the size of old pennies and twice as thick, two packs of 'SwellGel' , two water retaining disks for plant pots and a bag thing to fill with water to put in the lavvy cistern to reduce the water flush.
The brown disks popped into a couple of yoghurt pots and topped up with water swell up then put two sunflower seeds in each, 10 days on I've got some nice seedlings in the pots ready to plant out in a few days.

I had a letter from Severn Trent Water offering water saving advice, on the enclosed note they offered some freebies so I ticked the box and the stuff arrived a few days later
A pack of Sunflower seeds, a pack of wildflower seeds, two brown disks about the size of old pennies and twice as thick, two packs of 'SwellGel' , two water retaining disks for plant pots and a bag thing to fill with water to put in the lavvy cistern to reduce the water flush.
The brown disks popped into a couple of yoghurt pots and topped up with water swell up then put two sunflower seeds in each, 10 days on I've got some nice seedlings in the pots ready to plant out in a few days.
The only thing we get from Northumbrian water is a demand for more money :mad: :mad:

I tend to grow more veg having an allotment , although we have various flowering shrubs and of course if I get my head in gear I plant a few flowers . I bought some dahlia seeds from a well known hardware store about 4-5 years ago once I'd got them to tuber state I then got them to flower I collected the seeds once they'd died off and planted those and had some luck with them . The reason I started this post was we had a fantastic show of Camelias this year I don't know how it came about I just pick off the occasional dead flower and basically ignore them and let them get on with it . I've heard of the "No Dig" I think I've just introduced another one "No Care " . With that sort of care I could look after the garden all day without having a tea break .

Last edited:
I tend to grow more veg having an allotment , although we have various flowering shrubs and of course if I get my head in gear I plant a few flowers . I bought some dahlia seeds from a well known hardware store about 4-5 years ago once I'd got them to tuber state I then got them to flower I collected the seeds once they'd died off and planted those and had some luck with them . The reason I started this post was we had a fantastic show of Camelias this year I don't know how it came about I just pick off the occasional dead flower and basically ignore them and let them get on with it . I've heard of the "No Dig" I think I've just introduced another one "No Care " . With that sort of care I could look after the garden all day without having a tea break .
Having a lot of trouble this year with Wood Pigeons they have eaten all the Oregon Sweet Pods as they put their heads out the soil.

The fledglings are now coming to the feeders without parent birds.

P1010513.JPG P1010520.JPG P1010529.JPG P1010531.JPG P1010548.JPG In order. Chaffinch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Bluetit and Longtailed tits. We've also had Great tits. Coal Tits, a young Robin on and there's also been a Jay trying to get at the fat balls but I haven't been quick enough with my camera.

The fledglings are now coming to the feeders without parent birds.

View attachment 171381 View attachment 171382 View attachment 171383 View attachment 171384 View attachment 171385 In order. Chaffinch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Bluetit and Longtailed tits. We've also had Great tits. Coal Tits, a young Robin on and there's also been a Jay trying to get at the fat balls but I haven't been quick enough with my camera.
We have three Jays now coming to the fat balls. We are wondering if these are parents bringing the young.

I transplanted a Phormium, that had spent its life in a pot, into the ground, about three weeks ago. It is in full sun, and sheltered from any North'ish winds. It seems to have taken to its new home well. It has thrown a flower spike, that is growing at a rate of knots.

The weather has been kind this year, thus far.

Steve.

Last edited:
That Phormium looks remarkably like my Yukka, are they related?View attachment 171396

Same family,Asparagaceae, I believe, Eric.

Yucca is South America, and Phormium is NZ. When we lived on the West Coast (Scotland) we had a beautiful Yucca that flowered every year. I doubt it would be happy here, on the NE coast. 150 yards from the sea, open to any wind with a hint of North in it, makes gardening a challenge when compared with the West Coast.

Steve.

my yucca does not like drafts is sure does sulk.and the tips go brown.... the horse fly's this year are huge here grr:grinning:
:grinning:

Tell me though Eric have they quickened their response time up a bit when it comes to repairing burst pipes in the road , in the past I've seen leaks running for weeks instead of days . It seems there is a bit of a territorial thing with water companies , there was a leak in the village here about two years ago the second day of the leak I rang Severn Trent , "oh that's South Staffs you'll have to ring " in the case of a leak shouldn't there be some sort of hit squad whereby the leak is stopped the same day . Just a thought
I transplanted a Phormium, that had spent its life in a pot, into the ground, about three weeks ago. It is in full sun, and sheltered from any North'ish winds. It seems to have taken to its new home well. It has thrown a flower spike, that is growing at a rate of knots.

The weather has been kind this year, thus far.

Steve.
Looks great Steve

My Yucca has been there since I bought the house in 1994, it just keeps coming and flowering every year, those stems grow like bamboo.
I'll post pictures when it flowers.
We've inherited a Yucca Eric off my son he's had it about five years we've had it for as long . It's never flowered though are there flowering and non flowering varieties , due to it getting a bit top heavy and lopsided a couple of years ago, I cut the excess off it doesn't look as dangerous now . It survived the amputation it's replaced it's greenery and grown another branch . No flowers though Eric .

Tell me though Eric have they quickened their response time up a bit when it comes to repairing burst pipes in the road , in the past I've seen leaks running for weeks instead of days . It seems there is a bit of a territorial thing with water companies , there was a leak in the village here about two years ago the second day of the leak I rang Severn Trent , "oh that's South Staffs you'll have to ring " in the case of a leak shouldn't there be some sort of hit squad whereby the leak is stopped the same day . Just a thought

Looks great Steve
The response times are far better than they were back in and around the sixties/seventies and probably could be quicker if not obstructed by bureaucracy, unless it's an emergency they have to consult and coordinate any digging up of roads with other service providers so that they don't dig them up one week for water and then another week for electric or gas work.
If you would like to see how they work and how much progress is being made in all aspects of the water industry take a wander through their website.
https://www.stwater.co.uk/

Eric
That may be the theory, but I dont think it is often kept to around Reading. In particular those around here putting in new fibre optic broadband cabling seem to hav eno coordination and leave holes in the ground unworked on for weeks on end with no consideration of the inhabitants. It is not as if many particularly want 1 gb broadband , but we all suffer

Yes we had the same here for weeks Mike but it's pretty well all done now, didn't get it in our small close though...yet.

So you still hav ethat pleasure to come Eric. One friend of mine came out one morning to find that , without warning, they were had a trench accross the front , stopping them getting their car out.

We've inherited a Yucca Eric off my son he's had it about five years we've had it for as long . It's never flowered though are there flowering and non flowering varieties , due to it getting a bit top heavy and lopsided a couple of years ago, I cut the excess off it doesn't look as dangerous now . It survived the amputation it's replaced it's greenery and grown another branch . No flowers though Eric .
if you plant the amputated bits in potting they grow mine did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back