• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Garden 2021

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Our nightly visitor to the garden came for his supper. He even comes down the garden if Pete is there. He brings his two wives sometimes too but they are very nervous still.

Attachments

• 20210627_214034.jpg
    20210627_214034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210627_214236.jpg
    20210627_214236.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210627_214239.jpg
    20210627_214239.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
We are great Barr and have Barr Beacon and Sutton Park on our doorsteps. Used to have lots of hedgehogs but don't see any these days. Our ponds attract wildlife too Bob.

jmadone

master brummie
Grey squirrel trying to work out a way to get to the feeders
P1010309 (2).JPG Let's try hiding in the leaves first
P1010313 (2).JPG Those seeds do look tasty
P1010312 (3).JPG Maybe go along this branch and then ................

He got on to the roof and for all I know he may still be there still figuring a way to get at them!

p.s. for G.G.Jean we live in a 3rd story apartment on the edge of Darlington, County Durham and we overlook a park.

Eric Gibson

master brummie
The racoon and the fox pictures are from my daughter's decking out in Pasadena Maryland, an interesting spot to sit with deer squirrels racoon and a large variety of birds including humming birds owls osprey and heron.
Her home backs on to 'Cornflower Creek; which flows out into Chesapeake Bay,

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
We are great Barr and have Barr Beacon and Sutton Park on our doorsteps. Used to have lots of hedgehogs but don't see any these days. Our ponds attract wildlife too Bob.
GGJean
All of another part of my old stamping ground as a single bachelor seeking whatever single bachelors thought went on in Sutton Park & Barr Beacon, but what amazes me is the range of animals and birds that you all see in your gardens. The nearest I get to Great Barr now is staying at the Holiday Inn there and motoring down Chapel Lane to Sutton, used to live off Chester Road in Court Lane, but just keep these excellent photos coming.

Dave M

Knowing Birmingham then that could possibly be country and wildlife is expected, thanks

JMADone

Attenborough gets paid a lot of money for pictures like that. Are the council still paying 10d for a grey squirrels tail?

Eric

Thank goodness for that, squirrels, foxes and badgers in the back garden is bad enough, but Racoons - help. Very beautiful part of the States, near to Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs book territory.

Bob

carolina

master brummie
Today it looked like a sparrowhawk landed in my garden with a baby bird in its claws. Immediately 2 blackbirds swooped down and the sparrowhawk flew off with them following him. It left a few little feathers from the landing. Is this an usual thing for a sparrowhawk?

johnny082

master brummie
Any experts on bare rooted trees, your help would be much appreciated. Bought three of the miniature fruit trees in February this year, Braeburn apple, Victoria plum and a Conference pear. Panted all the next day in the same patch of ground and watered as necessary. The apple and plum blossomed lovely and are really healthy but the pear tree just started with a few leaves but they have now died off. Have scraped the top of one of the branches and it is still green so obviously alive. But will it live for next year or will I get new leaves this year. Ordered on line but can't remember where from and cannot find any receipt [unusual for me as keep everything for years], so can't get in touch with ones I had it from

Today it looked like a sparrowhawk landed in my garden with a baby bird in its claws. Immediately 2 blackbirds swooped down and the sparrowhawk flew off with them following him. It left a few little feathers from the landing. Is this an usual thing for a sparrowhawk?
Our local Sparrowhawk raided one of our pigeon nests. It came in at lightning speed and the carnage took microseconds. It also took one of our doves - I went in the kitchen to make a cuppa and it was plucking it on the path three metres away from the window.

I thought about having a cave in the garden. After a recce to the likes of B&Q, I noticed that it was over £1k for a flimsy shed made of the thinnest of wood slats. I thought I could do much better myself so have started another garden project. Built on stilts on a sloping site, I have the basic framework erected and it is all nice and level. So far so good .....

Shed.jpg

izzy eckerslike

Yaw've med my day yaw ave
I thought about having a cave in the garden. After a recce to the likes of B&Q, I noticed that it was over £1k for a flimsy shed made of the thinnest of wood slats. I thought I could do much better myself so have started another garden project. Built on stilts on a sloping site, I have the basic framework erected and it is all nice and level. So far so good .....

I can't believe how you managed to find any wood! there is a huge shortage all over Europe, all the DIY places are sold out here apart from bits of twisted scrap
Timber shortage