• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Garden 2021

Smudger

master brummie
It seems to be a bad year for cherries in the Durham area. I have 4 cherry trees with about 20 cherries between them. There may not be that many left if we get the dreaded June drop ! There are over 20 cherry trees around my village & only one has a few cherries on it. On the other hand my 2 apple trees are loaded. Flowering plants are also looking a bit sorry for themselves. Last week we a day of 24c & the next day it was 13c. Welcome to a British summer, so unpredictable.

Smudger

master brummie
Re Sweet Peas, I guess I am luckier than some posters, this year is the best year ever and they have spread along one side of the garden, it is really a pleasure to see them.
Do you have the lovely scented variety, or the perennial variety that look good but have no scent?

jmadone

master brummie
It seems to be a bad year for cherries in the Durham area. I have 4 cherry trees with about 20 cherries between them. There may not be that many left if we get the dreaded June drop ! There are over 20 cherry trees around my village & only one has a few cherries on it. On the other hand my 2 apple trees are loaded. Flowering plants are also looking a bit sorry for themselves. Last week we a day of 24c & the next day it was 13c. Welcome to a British summer, so unpredictable.
I don't have cherries but the gooseberries are just starting to ripen but they aren't as big as last years crop. Raspberries and redcurrants are the most prolific I've had. I just need to pick them when they ripen before the birds get them.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there any Bee experts on the forum. We hear about the decline of bees , caused I gather at least partly by the Variola mite. So far as ordinary bees are concerned that would completely agree with observations in my garden (or more accurately my wild area as I am not a keen gardener) and elsewhere such as in the pub garden I was in today. However there seem to be an increase in the number of what I call bumble bees (bigger, furrier and prettier) who seem very happy. Are these types resistant to Variola, or is this apparent increase just my imagination?

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know much about bees either Mike but I have a phormium that’s flowered with 10 plumes and they’ve been constantly visiting it, both large and small bees coming to it for about three weeks - see left of the red dot in first pic, and left of green dot in second. I’ve had the same this year with the honeysuckle.

Maybe they’re here for their holidays ! Viv.414B45A8-B286-4DCD-8C0A-02709E7805BA.jpeg
14378593-1B28-40C7-9BB4-92D379A17DC6.jpeg

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Love this photo of the moon this month Pete took it as I am useless.
Did you know it was called a strawberry moon? No neither did I nor why it got that name. Good photo though, now to start singing and tap dancing....all together now, By the light of the silvery moon(please substitute strawberry for silvery if you want to) I used to croon..........
Unfortunately, I had to give up tap dancing, I kept falling in the sink.
Bob

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Canna that I was worried about over winter is putting on plenty of growth. I love the leaves of this one. Hopefully I shall get decent flowers. During the winter I left it outside, but in a sheltered spot away from the salty winds we get here. Seems to have liked it. Shall leave it in a pot so that I can do the same this winter. Viv.

FD7FDA82-0B6D-462F-85AB-62F0A225C31D.jpeg