• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Garden 2021

Susan shaw

master brummie
I have a few scrawny flowers on mine which are growing indoors in my porch. The ones growing out side i doubt will flower at all. Sweetpeas are my favourite flower but this year they`re pretty abysmal. I have 4 sweet cherry trees & they are abysmal as well. We look forward through winter to a nice crop of flowers & fruit only to be disappointed.:(
I will be sad if my sweet peas are abysmal Smudger but on the positive side my climbing rose is really lovely this year, very unusual. The lilies too, so tall though not yet opened. Good luck with your sweet peas. Regards, Sue

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
A Xmas gift off one of our twins. A Lemon Tree that is covered in flowers and some very tiny lemons appearing. Loads of bees have been on it so far.

Are you in Brum? I would love a lemon tree but not sure it would stand a northern summer. I might give it a try (I've already got the gin and the tonic to go with it:yum)
Yes we are in Great Barr and luckily are south facing . Our son went to the garden centre and the chap there chose that one even though some had large fruit on and I can see why due to the amount of flowers on it now.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Jim,

Lemon trees will lose their leaves below 4C, but not their fruit ironically, and will even survive two or three days of snow. There is plenty advice about growing them in pots on YouTube, and if they are in pots, it's possible to move them to a more sheltered position if a cold spell is forecast. Similarly with limes. Because we're in a valley here in Crete, we don't get much problem with snow and many years we only see it on the mountains above 3000 ft a.s.l. If in a pot, you could build a small portable frame, polythene covered and keep the temperature up by putting an old type 60 watt bulb inside and run a cable to the house supply.

Maurice :cool:

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Jim,

Lemon trees will lose their leaves below 4C, but not their fruit ironically, and will even survive two or three days of snow. There is plenty advice about growing them in pots on YouTube, and if they are in pots, it's possible to move them to a more sheltered position if a cold spell is forecast. Similarly with limes. Because we're in a valley here in Crete, we don't get much problem with snow and many years we only see it on the mountains above 3000 ft a.s.l. If in a pot, you could build a small portable frame, polythene covered and keep the temperature up by putting an old type 60 watt bulb inside and run a cable to the house supply.

Maurice :cool:
I followed all the guidelines Maurice and it has only been outside for a few weeks. So far so good. I love the fragrant aroma from their flowers. Thanks.

jmadone

master brummie
P1010302 (2).JPG Great Spotted Woodpecker Male adult and flrdgling (3).JPG Great Spotted Woodpecker Male adult feeding fledgling 2 (3).JPG

Getting quite a few adults and fledglings visiting the feeders mainly Blue Tits, Great Tits and Goldfinches but today the Woodpecker brought his new offspring and started to feed it from the fatballs.

Another first today inasmuch as we had a Jay feeding briefly from the fatballs but unfortunately flew off before I could get my camera. This was the first Jay I have seen round here and I've never ever heard of Jays visiting fatball feeders.

Susan shaw

master brummie
View attachment 158114 View attachment 158115 View attachment 158116

Getting quite a few adults and fledglings visiting the feeders mainly Blue Tits, Great Tits and Goldfinches but today the Woodpecker brought his new offspring and started to feed it from the fatballs.

Another first today inasmuch as we had a Jay feeding briefly from the fatballs but unfortunately flew off before I could get my camera. This was the first Jay I have seen round here and I've never ever heard of Jays visiting fatball feeders.
Love these pics, fabulous. Sue

richardinwales

master brummie
Well Smudger, Gryff the dog thanks you for his little corner of the garden

YhG2tJ1.jpg

izzy eckerslike

Yaw've med my day yaw ave
Squirrels are causing havock, we bought a new so called 'Squirrel proof' hanger on Tuesday, today we come back from shopping to see one had clearly got inside and was now hanging outside the globe by his back legs still stuck inside, I tried everything to free him taking care to avoid his teeth, I put it on the ground and tried to cover him up so I could try bolt cutters but he went berserk. I eventually got the idea that he needed something to grip on to pull himself out so put him next to a post, and he immediately started clawing at it while I gently pulled the globe, suddenly he was free and shot off like a bullet!20210624_112729.jpgfloor.jpg,

izzy eckerslike

Yaw've med my day yaw ave
ahh look at his little face....what a thing to happen and well done izzy...a great rescue job... :) :) :)

lyn
They are annoying by stopping the birds from feeding but I couldn't let it suffer, we were about to start ringing around for help, my sons boss is a also a fire fighter and would have suitable bolt cutters.
It's going back to Webbs garden centre asap, these cost around £20 but it was on offer at £14.99, I wonder why ? I've sent photo's to Chapel Wood regarding their "ULTRA SQUIRREL PROOF PEANUT FEEDER" so waiting to see if they reply.