• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Garden 2021

pjmburns

master brummie
Quite a number of long tailed tits eating the insects off the skimmia and next door's wisteria. Too fast to get a photo - will try to get a video if they come back tomorrow and then take a still. Problem is it has to be a view through the kitchen window. (Camera was on charge and phone not really a good enough zoom.)

johnny082

master brummie
Lovely video there. Wish we had a good selection of birds. Get afew sparrows and sometimes a great tit of blue tit but rare. We do get a pair of blackbirds that come to the feeder and most days have a good bath in the pond. Get magpies and pigeons and have three squirrels that we see most days. Love the wildlife

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
What are pathogenic nematodes ?
A parasite1622401070758.png

Summary​

Understanding the frequency distribution of parasites and parasite stages among hosts is essential for efficient experimental design and statistical analysis, and is also required for the development of sustainable methods of controlling infection. Nematodirus battus is one of the most important organisms that infect sheep but the distribution of parasites among hosts is unknown. An initial analysis indicated a high frequency of animals without N. battus and with zero egg counts, suggesting the possibility of a zero-inflated distribution. We developed a Bayesian analysis using Markov chain Monte Carlo methods to estimate the parameters of the zero-inflated negative binomial distribution. The analysis of 3000 simulated data sets indicated that this method out-performed the maximum likelihood procedure. Application of this technique to faecal egg counts from lambs in a commercial upland flock indicated that N. battus counts were indeed zero-inflated. Estimating the extent of zero-inflation is important for effective statistical analysis and for the accurate identification of genetically resistant animals.

Nematodes: Symptoms, Injury to Plants, Characteristics and ...

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Stone the Crows !

Chafer grubs in lawns​

• Biological control: You can buy pathogenic nematodes, usually Heterorhabditis bacteriophora, which attack the larvae by infecting them with a fatal bacterial disease. These microscopic animals can be watered into the lawn when the ground is moist and soil temperature range between 12-20ºC (55-68ºF). the nematodes are available by mail order from some biological control suppliersand from some garden centres. The turf around the edge of affected areas should be targeted to deal with larvae spreading from infestation “hot spots”. However, by the time areas of infestation become apparent, the soil may be too cold for nematodes to be effective. As a preventive measure nematodes can be applied in July to September. Nematodes should be applied as soon as possible after purchase, following the suppliers’ instructions. It may be necessary to water the lawn before and after application to ensure the soil is sufficiently moist for nematode activity and survival

Smudger

master brummie
I had a lovely experience today. I was stood in the doorway of my porch ( no not the motorcar silly ) And was watching the Great tits leaving the nest box when one of them flew straight at me & clung to my t-shirt. It stayed hanging on for a while before it flew away. Most of the tits were as big as their parents but this one was tiny, probably the "runt" I hope he survives ok, maybe come back next year & raise his own brood.

Grea

master brummie
I had almost the same experience as you yesterday Smudger. We had a robins nest in our window box. I spent three weeks finding worms and grubs and leaving them close by, just to help. Yesterday one chick came to the edge of the box jumped off and scurried away. I shall miss them.729CFE3F-D0A2-47AF-979E-EBDEE731399C.jpeg

Last edited:

Smudger

master brummie
Has anyone ever seen a Skylark up high? I take my dog for a walk over nearby fields twice a day, and though i can always hear the Lark singing away i can never spot one. I`ve only ever seen one in a photograph with it`s tufted head.

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skylarks are notoriously hard to spot when flying and even harder to find on the ground when they drop down. I have watched then, but there is not much to see as they fly so high for a smallish bird.

I have to say that the song of the skylark is an iconic sound of the good weather in the summer.

jmadone

master brummie
Has anyone ever seen a Skylark up high? I take my dog for a walk over nearby fields twice a day, and though i can always hear the Lark singing away i can never spot one. I`ve only ever seen one in a photograph with it`s tufted head.
When we were kids there were lots of skylarks nesting in the rough of Marston Green Golf course. We used to lie on our backs and scan the skies to see them hovering on high. Nowadays my eyes are not that good and my hearing is worse but once heard never forgotten