• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Garden 2021

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your post as well as those about In the Garden that were posted yesterday are in the In the Garden 2020 thread Pete. The new 2021 thread is to start from today I Jan. All part of the end of year tidyng up of the General Discussion section. A lot of time has been given to sorting out the section so that it’s more manageable in future. Hope that’s OK. Viv.

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Camelias are looking really good this year,looks like we will have plenty of flowers.
As for my bulbs they are a bit depleted this year, I had a visit from a rat who it appears has a liking for them, we covered what were left with netting and he left them alone.

lmr3103

master brummie
Camelias are looking really good this year,looks like we will have plenty of flowers.
As for my bulbs they are a bit depleted this year, I had a visit from a rat who it appears has a liking for them, we covered what were left with netting and he left them alone.

If I plant bulbs the squirrels methodically dig each one up, bite into them and literally throw them over their shoulder in disgust!
Lynn.

superdad3

master brummie
Had a good mouch around the garden today. Still a few roses out & a few more buds which hopefully might open if we don't have any more frost/snow. I can't remember in 40 years at our house ever having roses out for Christmas. Primroses starting to flower all over the garden. Blackbirds, pigeons, mistle thrushes & fieldfare must be gettin hungry as they have started on the cotoneaster berries. Weather forecast awful. I know a good hard frost is good for many plants but at my age I am happy to do without!

Attachments

• DSCF1394.JPG
    DSCF1394.JPG
    783.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1395.JPG
    DSCF1395.JPG
    903.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1396.JPG
    DSCF1396.JPG
    921.7 KB · Views: 19

lmr3103

master brummie
Had a good mouch around the garden today. Still a few roses out & a few more buds which hopefully might open if we don't have any more frost/snow. I can't remember in 40 years at our house ever having roses out for Christmas. Primroses starting to flower all over the garden. Blackbirds, pigeons, mistle thrushes & fieldfare must be gettin hungry as they have started on the cotoneaster berries. Weather forecast awful. I know a good hard frost is good for many plants but at my age I am happy to do without!
You're lucky to see thrushes and fieldfares. When we first moved here we saw a lot of thrushes in the garden. When it grew dusk one would perch on our chimney and sing the most beautiful song. They dwindled over the years, and sadly the last one I saw a year or so ago had been decapitated. Last winter I saw a pair of fieldfares and they made me laugh with their bossy, possesive ways but haven't seen them this year so far.
We live next to a woods that was planted about 15 years ago and since then get the good, the bad and the ugly in our garden...woodpeckers, sparrowhawks and magpies to name a few. Perhaps this would explain the lack of the thrushes...
Lynn.

lmr3103

master brummie
Not strictly in my garden but my Aunt’s in Erdington. She lives in one of the newish houses that were built on what were the Court Road Allotments. Apparently they were a haven for wildlife especially foxes. People have mixed views about these animals but you have to feel sorry for them losing their home.
Lynn

C0EC4286-5C2F-4577-9FA6-255B42864166.jpeg

Vivienne14

Super Moderator
Staff member
So frosty here this morning it looks like a good coating of snow. But I’m glad it’s arrived as it’ll now kill off the soft stemmed plants (nasturtiums, California poppies etc) in readiness for the coming season. Plenty to go in the green bin now. (Or should I dig them in ?). Shall be getting good value for my £40p/a council payment on my first green bin collection this year ! Viv.