• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

They clouted us around the head for anything! I made dove tail joints too. I was useless at carpentry though. Afriad really which is daft now. I thought of putting slats in and a plastic lining so whatever was in, can drain. There are some old shelves in the garage I thought of using.
My woodwork teacher was a psycho. He once held my head down on the base of the bandsaw whilst it was running! And this was because I said I did not know how to use the machine!

Nico

master brummie
My woodwork teacher was a psycho. He once held my head down on the base of the bandsaw whilst it was running! And this was because I said I did not know how to use the machine!
Monsters some of them. Well you can be proud he didn't put you off. Your joinery is excellent. Goo to the top of the class Nan would have said. I have come to realise she had her own name for plants and flowers that's why I couldn't buy them!

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Keiron,

No - all our water comes from boreholes in the limestone. In fact, the whole darned island is limestone. There haven't been any water shortages here for at least 20 years, and about 4 years ago we supplied a tankerful to Cyprus who were desperately short of water.

Water is provided in two types: for agricultural use, which is roughly one third the price of that supplied for domestic use. The domestic water is safe to drink, though occasionally may contain a little sand. For this reason most taps include a filter to take this out. But we buy bottled water for drinking and cooking as 12 litres only costs 2.60 euros. To be connected to the agricultural supply, you need to prove that you have at least 100 olive trees. It's the same water minus a lot of the filtering.

Maurice :cool:

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Here is one for all you Percy Throwers out there. My Victoria Plum which has been a heavy cropper ever since we had it, but this year we have had only 7 plums on it, only one of which was edible, the rest have been attacked by wasps. Any suggestions as to how to prevent this in future years?

Bob

Today was all about planting my new Strawberry Tree [Arbutus unedo], some place where it will benefit from a good dose of sun. I had some materials leftover so did something a little unusual in a corner of the garden. The blue bricks were leftover from my pond project and they were ridiculously cheap in the first place having been nabbed on ebay. I found an unusual-shaped hardwood ring in a school skip so created a bed for the tree with lots of lush composted soil. The tree branches were from my topping of my trees and I made some 'cheeses' for decoration from a log. The engineering bricks were free, as was the stone slabs which I got from the refuse site. So, although a bit odd-looking, it is a bargain basement makover of a corner plot.

Strawberry Tree Planted.jpg

Nico

master brummie
I had to block the rat hole up. I doubt the hedgehog would come that way as it is under several layers of fence panelling.Not seen the mice since I saw the rat.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I had to block the rat hole up. I doubt the hedgehog would come that way as it is under several layers of fence panelling.Not seen the mice since I saw the rat.
The house mouse is considered one of the top 100 world's worst invaders. Mice are afraid of rats because rats will kill and eat mice. Rat odor can be a strong deterrent to mice and affect their behavior.

The female [who I call Mabel] does the nightshift and then hands over to the male about 10.30am. I witnessed the changeover this morning - very nice moment. I call the male Marco. I realise that many people do not like pigeons for a number of reasons but I have taken to this pair in my tree. I have to go under the tree to access my tool shed and the nest is not too far above me but they do not seem too fussed about me looking up and saying hello to them.

View attachment 147022
Today I climbed a tree to sort out my Virginia Creeper which was attempting to go rogue. I am looking down on the pigeon's nest in the next tree so you can imagine how high I was!! Anyway, using the zoom on my pocket camera I managed to capture a photograph of Mabel and Marco's single squab. They seem to leave the baby most of the day but come back in the evening to throw up in its gob!

Squab.jpg

Nico

master brummie
We have a Virginina Creeper on the garage and wherever else it feels like going. I don't know if we can find a root or maybe we could root it from it's tendrils I thought we could put in on the horrible fence. Our friends have different tastes to us. They had an imitation privet which they have put to cover their neighbours' house wall, maybe I could get some imitation ivy in the meantime till ours grows back.

We have a Virginina Creeper on the garage and wherever else it feels like going. I don't know if we can find a root or maybe we could root it from it's tendrils I thought we could put in on the horrible fence. Our friends have different tastes to us. They had an imitation privet which they have put to cover their neighbours' house wall, maybe I could get some imitation ivy in the meantime till ours grows back.
If it is an old root it would take a bit of digging out. I really like the plant - spectacular in autumn and the falling leaves can be gathered up to make a nest/home for wildlife in the winter. However, it will try to creep anywhere and everywhere - I imagine that it tries to grow inside your garage!