• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
1. Hedgehogs are one of only three animals to hibernate in the United Kingdom.
2. Baby hedgehogs are called 'hoglets'.
3. Hedgehogs are lactose intolerant, rather than milk they prefer that you to leave out cat or dog food and water for them.
4. Hedgehogs have very bad eyesight but their senses of smell and hearing are impeccable.
5. Hedgehogs are nocturnal creatures meaning they only come out at night.
6. A hedgehog can run over six feet per second, that's about as long as your bed!
7. In one night hedgehogs can walk over two miles.
8. Hedgehogs are insectivores, meaning they love the bugs in your garden.
9. A group of hedgehogs is called an 'array'.
10. Hedgehogs haven't always been called hedgehogs, a long time ago they were called 'urchins'.
11. They have between 5000-7000 spines on their back which raise and lower if they feel threatened. Hedgehogs will curl up in a ball when they feel threatened and use these spines to protect themselves.
12. Hedgehogs enjoy foraging around in bushes and the undergrowth, that's how they got their name.
13. Hedgehogs are known as a 'gardener's friend' as they eat all the insects that nibble on our much loved plants.
Breeding, babies, hoglets - Hedgehog Street

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
lol jackie...i was a few mins late taking the food down tonight..was walking down the garden with the dish just as spike came scurrying over and waited for me to put it down lol...talk about 5 star treatment :Dits got to be the same hog but looked a tad smaller tonight..my daughter came round (lives next door) with little james and she said the same thing..

lyn
That’s great Lyn, happy for little James, the look on his face, he will be going to nursery telling his nan has a hedge hog in her garden. Keep up the good work.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Morturn
Do you have a doormat?

Richarddye

master brummie
Watching a Welsh TV show Hidden, A service station, out on a country road, had a six pack of COORS LIGHT BEER made in Golden Colorado USA for sale!!!! Perfect for the hot weather not my fav though
John, still cold and bubbly with a little kick, refreshing on a hot summers day! My preference would be an IPA or a pint of bitter.
Come to think of it as Jimmy Buffett would say "its 5 o'clock somewhere"

Enjoy your weekend!

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member

ahh thanks lynn...wonder if i will get any babies... tim i think you are right about spike having attitude...last night i walked down the garden with dish of chicken cat food at 9.45 put it down in the middle of the lawn where i always put it...turned round walked back up the garden turned at the back door just in time to see spike legging it from behind the shed straight to the food... :D this seems to be where spike is waiting for me to serve up dinner lol...

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Spike thinks he/she has a pretty good life in Lyn's garden. Best quality food complete with waiter service and dead on the dot. Eat it down, wander around for any easy dessert, and before he/she knows, it is time for kip. He/she is banking on you feeding until it get's cold enough to hibernate in the waiter-supplied bed for the winter. No wonder Spike gets fat! :)

Maurice :cool:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Spike thinks he/she has a pretty good life in Lyn's garden. Best quality food complete with waiter service and dead on the dot. Eat it down, wander around for any easy dessert, and before he/she knows, it is time for kip. He/she is banking on you feeding until it get's cold enough to hibernate in the waiter-supplied bed for the winter. No wonder Spike gets fat! :)

Maurice :cool:

well maurice i have a hog house already in place in case room service is required during the winter months :D its pretty well hidden but will wait until autumn when i can collect a load of fallen leaves then i will wack them all over the top and sides of the house :D :D

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
well maurice i have a hog house already in place in case room service is required during the winter months :D its pretty well hidden but will wait until autumn when i can collect a load of fallen leaves then i will wack them all over the top and sides of the house :D :D
wow it sure is a lucky hedgedog

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ive just read this :D

Hedgehogs thrive on animal protein and this should form the majority of their diet. You can add some fruit and vegetables like beans, peas, corn, apples and carrots.

lmr3103

master brummie
ive just read this :D

Hedgehogs thrive on animal protein and this should form the majority of their diet. You can add some fruit and vegetables like beans, peas, corn, apples and carrots.

You've got a full time job there, Lyn!
A year before my Mom died she developed dementia and many a night I used to have to go and see to her in the early hours of the morning. She lived in a cul-de-sac and more often than not I would see a hedgehog mooching in the open plan front gardens. I was amazed at how fast it moved, i always thought of them as slow critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.