• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the Garden 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
A moral dilemma. If you saw a Sparrow Hawk sitting on your back fence eying up some Bluetits on the feeders, would you shoo it off with the possibility the hawk or it`s youngsters would go hungry? I personally would shoo it off but is that the right thing to do? I know it has to kill, but i couldn`t stand by & watch it kill another little bird in my garden.
me too smudge. what they do when i cant see em is another thing.

Edifi

master brummie
BEING AN EX GARDENER. I WAS DOING A LADYS GARDEN ONE DAY

HAVING A COFFEE AND CHATTING AND DUNKING MY BISCUITS A ND WATCHING THE DOVES ON THE LAWN WHEN A HAWK FLEW DOWN AND GRABBED ONE.
NOT A PRETTY SIGHT.

Edifi

master brummie
SMUDGER, A CROW SOON MOVES WHEN A MAGPIE APPEARS
WE HAD 8 CROWS NESTS IN THE TREES IN 2 YEARS ALL THE CROWS HAD DISAPPEARED AFTER THE MAGPIES APPEARED

SMUDGER, A CROW SOON MOVES WHEN A MAGPIE APPEARS
WE HAD 8 CROWS NESTS IN THE TREES IN 2 YEARS ALL THE CROWS HAD DISAPPEARED AFTER THE MAGPIES APPEARED

That's odd as the RSPB site states that the sound of crows and rooks scare off magpies. See :

Tonight I have hung up the CDs as suggested. I have not had magpies before but this year I have four in the trees and they are frightening off the other birds and have eaten one of my frogs. I have had enough and have to defend my amphibians with honour so I am trying the CDs first. I was going to download a MP3 file of a rook to try it out. If anything it'll get the neighbours wondering!

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
So sad Lyn, we know it’s mother nature, but we know the hard work they do to protect their young. I agree with Pete sorry, but hate the pigeons they poo every where, and we have a a lot of trees. Let’s hope spike returns for his night snack.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
had to report this folks...just been down to make drink and looked out the back door as the security light was on and there was spike outside the back door...well i think it was him...he would have to have climbed 2 steps to get there..just in case it was not spike who had already eaten i put just a small amount of food down and left him to it :D

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
That's odd as the RSPB site states that the sound of crows and rooks scare off magpies. See :

Tonight I have hung up the CDs as suggested. I have not had magpies before but this year I have four in the trees and they are frightening off the other birds and have eaten one of my frogs. I have had enough and have to defend my amphibians with honour so I am trying the CDs first. I was going to download a MP3 file of a rook to try it out. If anything it'll get the neighbours wondering!
when i put down food. the rooks from the rookery in the woods.and magpies all share it. they are not afraid of one another,be carefull though.if you put the wrong sounds on your mp3.and blast it out you will attract them. a.if you have a old cd of the spice girls,play that it will scare off everything. lol

How To Effectively Scare And Keep Magpies Away

• Use “eyes” to scare magpies.
  • Play recordings of predators on an irregular schedule.

Last edited:

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
had to report this folks...just been down to make drink and looked out the back door as the security light was on and there was spike outside the back door...well i think it was him...he would have to have climbed 2 steps to get there..just in case it was not spike who had already eaten i put just a small amount of food down and left him to it :D
i can see you ending up with a hedgehoggery lyn
1593671326865.png

Last edited:

JackiePritchatt

master brummie
At There still
He’s getting closer Lyn, you may be getting a new lodger, your spoiling him beef last night, chicken tonight.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
At There still

He’s getting closer Lyn, you may be getting a new lodger, your spoiling him beef last night, chicken tonight.

lol jackie...i was a few mins late taking the food down tonight..was walking down the garden with the dish just as spike came scurrying over and waited for me to put it down lol...talk about 5 star treatment :Dits got to be the same hog but looked a tad smaller tonight..my daughter came round (lives next door) with little james and she said the same thing..

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.